Oil filter study write up suggestions/ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nice write up and testing, I have been using only Wix and just went to Purolator. I am surprised that the Ballwin and Luberfiner filters didn't do better as we use them on all the big trucks at work and they are changed every 15K like they are supposed to and with the millions and millions of miles we have used them we have never ever had a issue. some of the trucks are turned up and most are always running their 80K weight limit or more.

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
I've used Wix filters in my trucks since I've had my license and on the farm back home that's about all we use. Great write-up and thank you for all the good info.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nice write up and testing, I have been using only Wix and just went to Purolator. I am surprised that the Ballwin and Luberfiner filters didn't do better as we use them on all the big trucks at work and they are changed every 15K like they are supposed to and with the millions and millions of miles we have used them we have never ever had a issue. some of the trucks are turned up and most are always running their 80K weight limit or more.

yeah, and the industrial filters may be different for baldwin/luberfiner, but also remember that I wasn't testing anything like engine issues, or longevity, just simply the build quality and filteration ability, and different engines will have different tolerance requirements, etc....I know people who run some of the filters that tested the worst, but yet haven't had problems...I was mainly examining marketing claims.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, and the industrial filters may be different for baldwin/luberfiner, but also remember that I wasn't testing anything like engine issues, or longevity, just simply the build quality and filteration ability, and different engines will have different tolerance requirements, etc....I know people who run some of the filters that tested the worst, but yet haven't had problems...I was mainly examining marketing claims.

Well I understand your testing and what you tested, I just would think that they would have flitered better being a big truck should run a long time without a rebuild. I know that the tolerences will be looser then an engine our trucks, but when you put 1+ million miles on a big truck keeping contaminants out would be of huge importance. The new Detroit Series 60's are made for 1 million mile rebuilds, no sooner.

This was a very interesting test and I was happy to find that what I use is just fine.

and oil test would be cool too, but I bet expensive to do.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, I'd like to do an oil test, right now I'm trying to work on a air filter test, but the air filters are SOOOO much more expensive than the oil filters. eventually I'll do that one though, it should be interesting.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah, I'd like to do an oil test, right now I'm trying to work on a air filter test, but the air filters are SOOOO much more expensive than the oil filters. eventually I'll do that one though, it should be interesting.

awesome that would be a cool test for sure with all the stock paper filters, their differences, then all the aftermarket dry and oiled filters.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, and unlike the oil filter one I'll be able to quantifiably test flow rates as well as actual collected contaminants and passed contaminants as well, so it'll be interesting, its just super expensive. with oil filters only costing a few bucks to maybe a little over $10 a piece, air filters start at around $20 and go to well over $100. luckily I've had a few people donate some filters and money to help get the filters, which helps, but its still slow going. I've got my testing rig all designed and am building it, and I've got a few filters too, but I need to get some more before the testing actually begins on it...

I'm also planning on a spark plug test in the future as well...maybe a thermostat one too....but those are just ideas right now, haven't really designed anything specific for them yet.

Blue95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you seem like that man to do it and know what to do, I unlike my whole family was not gifted enough to be an engineer :lol: so Industrial Management is my field.
But I can't wait to see what the future holds.