Oil filter study write up suggestions/ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got the filter overview gradesheet up. its just like a school report card, I graded them on the catagories I felt were important and calculated their GPA on a weighted scale. here's the link to that:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/oilfilter/gradesheet.htm

I also updated the main article page with the gradesheet link.

I highlighted the best results in bold blue, and the worst in red.

hope that helps!

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
that opened my eyes. i currently have that STP filter on my truck and as soon as i saw that i wanted to go outside and yank it off, cold weather be damned.

great info on this topic and a top notch write up. i think once i rebuild my motor i will switch to synthetics and use the RP filter. i also have to say that your setup for the test is pretty cool.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks man. yeah, I switched to mobil 1 or rotella synth oil at like 120k miles and have been using them since, and have been using typically Mobil one filters since I've had it. I've got an amsoil on it right now.

I think in the future I'll likely use RP or an XG5, I don't mind the amsoil I've got on there, but its quite a PITA to order it from amsoil and have it shipped, and I can't stand their marketing.

its an xtended guard for the wife's jeep for sure.

Last edited:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Im just amazed at the XG5! Makes me wish i waited a week to change the oil in my ford. I used a Fram High Mileage.

I probably WONT ever use a Fram on my chev, just because it is Fram, But i will be sticking to the K&N im using now, and will be looking at RP.

97sierra

Reaction score
Wow! I've been using the Fram extra guard (PH5) for quite some time, i think i'll be reaching for the Xtended (XG5) next oil change.
i'm actually surprised that royal purple came good on there claim to make the best filter out there, i would have thought that was almost pure marketing.
And thanks Aloicious for all the hard work you put in to this and posting it for all of us to see.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah, that XG5 is about the only fram I'd consider using. I think I'll put one on the wife's jeep next change. I actually ordered an extra amsoil when I got the one for doing this study, and thats what I'm running now, its a great one too, I just prefer something I can get locally. I think on my truck I'll run a RP next change.

I still like the K&N and M1 filters too. they did a great job in filtering and were exceptionally well constructed, the problem I found with them is mainly the price. the XG5 filters better than them and is like $4-5 less. or for practically the same price you could step it up and get an RP or amsoil. I think alot of what you're paying for with the M1 and especially the K&N is the label. but all in all they're both still great filters.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Note: Canadian Users can find "XG" filters at Canadian Tire, under "Fram Synthetic Filter", Only place mentioned that its a "Extended Guard" is on the back of the box.

Filter itself is stamped "Fram Extended Guard"

I just bought one for my F150 (XG8A), XG5 was right beside it.

PS: Filter is Silver with Sure Grip bottom, Not Gold like in study.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Note: Canadian Users can find "XG" filters at Canadian Tire, under "Fram Synthetic Filter", Only place mentioned that its a "Extended Guard" is on the back of the box.

Filter itself is stamped "Fram Extended Guard"

I just bought one for my F150 (XG8A), XG5 was right beside it.

PS: Filter is Silver with Sure Grip bottom, Not Gold like in study.

Canadians and your crazily painted filters...heh J/k Thanks Fastorange