Offroad GMT400 ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
Ok, so putting your personal feelings aside for your own truck, if you were to buy a GMT400 SUV 4x4 purely for some light to medium offroading, what would you buy to start with?

Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, etc. (1500, 2500, did they make these in a 3500?)
What engine/trans combo?

I love my truck I have now, but have been thinking about some kind of SUV project in the future as well. Something 4x4 for sure, and V8 definitely. I would probably re-gear it and put in a nice set of lockers front and rear, along with some better/larger tires, suspension lift, etc.

This truck would probably see some light to medium trail riding along with some riding on the beach. I have plenty of time and money to keep an eye out for the right combo to come along, and I don't want to buy someone else's project.

Jesse82nc

The Burb
Reaction score
I should have mentioned, I have 3 large dogs (GSDs), and I would probably take them with me to the beach as well. So a 4 door would most likely be ideal. Although I do love the look of the 2 doors. I'm going more for utility than style here. I already have a truck for style lol.

Maybe a Suburban 2500 with the Turbo Diesel? How does that compare off road to a 350?

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Well those are just to long for trails around here. My truck barley fits in most areas with trees. That long wheel base will give you problems. Those 2 doors have loads of doggy space.

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
seems like you know what you want already... but just on a side note ... suburban, to long ... diesel, normally to heavy for offroading ..

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2 door tahoe/Yukon stick shift 5.7

This^^^

I wouldn't use suburban and trail rig in the same sentence. Make room for the dogs in something smaller. By the time you get enough tires and lift under a suburban to make it any sort of offroad vehicle the only trail its gonna fit down is a 2 lane highway.

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Here's my $.02 from a suburban owner.I have a '95 3/4t 454 powered burb that does quite well on trails and off road in general.Granted it's not a Jeep or a two door Blazer or Tahoe,but I have fun with it.I got the 3/4t version cuz I wanted a big block and suspension capable of towing heavy stuff.We go to the desert occasionally with an 8,000lb toy hauler full of dirtbikes,etc. in tow and drives great on the freeway.Also keep in mind the G80 in 3/4t diffs is quite di8fferent than the 1/2 tons and is very heavy and very strong.

The 6'' lift & large tires also help off road and the 4:56 re-gear keeps all concerned happy when towing.Hit the dirt,throw the shifter in 4L and have a blast :waytogo:

Think I'm kidding?

If you get bored jump to the end....and look at the cars down on the highway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsZv-Yp6j-c&list=UUQSPzeZUoz759lipNaGnf2g&feature=c4-overview

Last edited:

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, I can see having one out west, but we don't have the open spaces like that over here on this side. Our trails are toyota sized at best.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I think a good place to start would be a 454 2500 suburban. A few simple engine mods to make it breathe easier and a pusher fan to help keep the big block cool. Good torque to lug up the trails with. Just my opinion though.

I would avoid a 6.5 diesel for off-roading. Off-road means heat and they don't seem to like heat. Pmd also being another issue. You would need a new one and to relocate it to the bumper. They are supposed to be waterproof, but I don't trust it. They also aren't known to be the most reliable unless you got some deep pockets, skill and knowledge to build it. Don't get me wrong, I would love a 6.5 since they are cheaper due to the problems that carry and this forum could help me straiten her out. I just wouldn't off-road it.