OEM mods

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
THANKS!

Could I run it to the fuse box, or would that not have what I need in it? (VSS)

And what years/models was this in? (when I go traipsing through the salvage yard) Just the Denali's?
I got it out of a 2001 yukon denali. May be in other vehicles but not sure which ones.

Yes you can go there for power. But the VSS is at the trans, PCM or radio.
2001-2002 Yukon Denali and 2002 Escalade were the vehicles they came in. There were no 2001 Escalades.

Does it seem to be right on MPG's? Maybe it just doesn't know how much your tank holds. You probably have a different capacity. A Denali would have a larger fuel tank, I would think.
From what I've researched the PCM calculates these things based on the way your driving, rate of fuel consumption, etc. The one installed in my 2002 sierra seems pretty darn accurate to me in all areas. If you go under 30-40 miles to empty it'll eventually just show "low mi"

Kodiak door handles swap over although rare and expensive.

Gmt400s have separate low and high bulbs so why not wire them both up? 4-high mod costs about $10

The brake lights only use one bulb, but you can wire the second one to come on so you have brighter tail lights. The factory used a dual filament bulb, but never wired the top bulb to the brake light circuit....

I read that you can splice in a switch and relay into the front axle actuator circuit for a 2WD LOW, but I haven't done that yet.
:lol: forgot about those other mods on my truck, as I did them SO long ago. 4-hi, upper marker light bulb. I had Kodiak handles on my 99 K2500, i still have the whole set but decided to not install them on my 88. I pioneered the dual taillight bulb thing back in 2003. Same with the 2wd low range switch, I did that when the truck was still IFS.

2nd battery tray from a diesel (I think 454 trucks had them too)

88gmctruck added a Vortec windshield washer tank and gmt800 nozzles to his TBI truck for extra capacity and more spray.
My came with the 2nd battery tray. 5.0 2WD
Forgot that one too. I swapped out my inner fender to install the washer reservoir and GM underhood toolbox. Running my original res as well, and added GMT800 squirters to the wiper arms so I have 5 squirters.

As far as battery trays, all passenger side trays are the same. Drivers side (2nd) trays differ 88-95 and 96+.

88-95 trays are metal, and harder to find. If the truck wasn't equipped with a second battery there would be no tray. The washer reservour in 88-95 is mounted on the driver fenderside. Any truck could be optioned with a 2nd battery, but generally only bigblock trucks of this era received them, although even then not all trucks had duals. All diesel have 2 batteries though.

In 96, the designs changed. The inner fender is different, and the washer reservoir moved below the location of the battery tray. The way the tank and bracketry is designed all trucks regardless of package would have a plastic battery tray. If the truck wasn't equipped with a second battery it would be just the tray, no wiring or retainer. There was also an option for the underhood toolbox, which takes the place of the second battery tray.

cdubb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Obviously grille swaps and interior swaps, caddy/escalade front end swaps.

If you are painting the door handles, the older trucks had smooth handles rather than textured like the newer trucks. 88-94 I think?

Kodiak door handles swap over although rare and expensive.

Go to a junkyard and grab an extra set of corner lights and the wires. Drill a hole in your upper corners and cut and glue the junkyard 194 lights so they will both light up.

2nd battery tray from a diesel (I think 454 trucks had them too)

Gmt400s have separate low and high bulbs so why not wire them both up? 4-high mod costs about $10

The brake lights only use one bulb, but you can wire the second one to come on so you have brighter tail lights. The factory used a dual filament bulb, but never wired the top bulb to the brake light circuit....

I read that you can splice in a switch and relay into the front axle actuator circuit for a 2WD LOW, but I haven't done that yet.

Wire a switch to the ABS circuit. Just pull the fuse and plug in a piece of wire with a new fuse and switch.

S10 blazer dome light lens fits the sunglasses compartment on the over head consoles, you'll have to wire in a dome light.

You must be registered for see images attach

88gmctruck added a Vortec windshield washer tank and gmt800 nozzles to his TBI truck for extra capacity and more spray.
Nice info . Good list of mods thanks man....

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
I wish I had one of the underhood boxes instead of the battery tray. Those things are so damn hard to find.

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
I would try looking under some tahoes an subs, I think they are more common on the SUVs. It is quite handy for holding a quart of oil and a set of jumper cables.

Under hood reel light was also an option. I've yet to find one to replace the fixed light on my truck. I might just get one from a jeep Cherokee.

NBS tailgate spoiler:
http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?9393-My-96-GMC-4x4&p=303811&viewfull=1#post303811

The TBI trucks have a nice power distribution block on the passenger side firewall that is useful in electrical projects as a power or ground block.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
The reel light doesn't replace the fixed light, it's in addition to. Of other note there are 2 designs for it, fender mounted and firewall mounted. Almost early trucks had the fender mounted reel light. Somewhere along the way (i think vortec years) they went to the firewall mounted, and for whatever reason fewer trucks have them.

Added the firewall mounted one to my 99 when I had it. There are dimples in the firewall where the screws go.
You must be registered for see images attach

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
I wish I had one of the underhood boxes instead of the battery tray. Those things are so damn hard to find.

you want the toolbox for vortec drivers side? hell i got one of those ill sell! i bought it for my truck awhile back but then i just filled battery tray with a second battery under the hood :D

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Well that might be why I can never find one, I always just looked at the hood and went on to the next truck in the junkyard. :crazy: Thanks.

capricefrk013

Toy Hauler
Reaction score
I would try looking under some tahoes an subs, I think they are more common on the SUVs. It is quite handy for holding a quart of oil and a set of jumper cables.

Never ever thought to look under the hood of those for the box. LOL

you want the toolbox for vortec drivers side? hell i got one of those ill sell! i bought it for my truck awhile back but then i just filled battery tray with a second battery under the hood :D

Id love to have it but I may need to relocate my battery to the drivers side when I do the 6.0 swap. If I can mount it on the passenger side then I might take you up on it if you still have it and I cant find one by then.