New to me

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DieselWeasle

Reaction score
New guy here, just about to buy a new to me '96 Chevy K2500, it has 171K KM's(a little over 106K Miles), auto, 4x4, ext. cab, short box. It comes with a canopy and set of studded winter on rims(I'm in Northern BC, Canada) so that's an added bonus, A/C, power windows, locks and remote start and a brake controller with the tow package(hitch and trans cooler). I think I got it for a good deal, $5000. This is upgrading from a 2wd, single cab, long box '95 F-150 with the 300 six. Not a die hard fan, just something that was in my budget and I love the older body styles of Fords and Chevy's.

I don't have the truck yet, but did do a thorough look over and test drive; it's as smooth as driving a little car, in comparison to my Ford :redface: Once the bank is open on Tuesday, I'll be getting the cash and heading out of town after work to go pick it up(hopefully) or Wednesday night.

Just have a few questions about this truck, I was looking in the glove box to find the axle code, but there was so much stuff on that stamp, I didn't know where to look; a quick glance and I was done with that lol. Also, is there any big differences in the trans or motor in the 2500's compared to the 1500's? It's a 350 btw.

Here's the good ol' Ford
You must be registered for see images attach

Only picture that I have of the Chevy :)
You must be registered for see images attach

DieselWeasle

Reaction score
Thanks, she's been reliable, but I need something bigger and 4x4 is a must up here, but that truck kept getting me from point A to B, but with 4x4 it'll be easier. Later down the road, if I can find another 9th gen F-150 with the straight 6, I'll buy it and have it as a toy.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Axle codes start with a G. GT4 is 3.73 an GU6 is 3.42. It more than likely has one of those two. G80 is a factory LSD

Edit since it's a 2500 it could have 4.10 which is GT5. It should be one of those three.

Chris6060

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As far as the drive train question goes between half and three quarter tons, the drivetrain pretty much stays identical between motors. 350 will have the 4L60E Tranny behind it, 454s and 6.5L Diesels will have the 4L80E.

Unless you go older than '94. Then the 350s will have the 700R4 (4L60) transmission.

DieselWeasle

Reaction score
Ok, I wasn't sure if there were any differences in the same motors offered between the 1/2 and 3/4. I will post back what codes are for the axles. This'll be my 2nd 4x4(first was a '91 Explorer that had shot auto hubs lol) I've been searching and by the results; I can't swap in manual locking hubs? The aftermarket rims have center caps that go over the hubs, so I'm assuming not. It has the floor shifter for 4x4, which I like, since my Exploder was push button on the dash and was prone to failure. After a lot of research, I shouldn't have too many problems, other than the fuel pump, according to other reviews(same as the F-150, was listed as a problem, but after 3 years, and nearly 60,000KM I changed it, but turned out to be a harness issue)

I know this is a hard question to answer, but what kind of gas mileage should I expect? Not a big issue, but it kinda is at the same time. This will be my DD as well as hauler, then I'm hoping eventually to get a toy, for the weekends. I'm looking to get a trailer to haul cars(derbies and zero efforts :) ) before Spring(around 3500lbs for the car and spare parts, then the trailer? Newbie to hauling trailers, always used the bed :confused:

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
Do you have the VIN? i would gladly look up the options for ya, i got a couple lookups left with Compnine.