New exhaust for mild built motor??

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by 1994chevymanual, Dec 7, 2016.

1. kennythewelder

kennythewelder I'm Awesome

I'm not sure about Dynomax, but it is easy to figure out what muffler is restrictive. Just look inside of it. If you can look through it then it is not restrictive , but if you can not see through it, the the exhaust flow will habe to go around or tough what you see in there. If it looks like a pipe with small holes on it, that's not restrictive. Also if these holes have little ears on them , then these ears need to go in the direction of the flow. You don't want them to catch the flow as it goes by. This would be a restriction. Also the longer the muffler is , the quieter it will be.

2. TylerZ281500

TylerZ281500 Yukon Ridin High

dynomax is good stuff, cheap price decent quality, doesnt restrict anymore than the rest of the good ones.

3. 1994chevymanual

1994chevymanual I'm Awesome

alright ill propably go with them being i really like the sound they give

4. slowburb

slowburb all motor

Yes, the Dynomax Ultraflo is a good muffler for performance.

5. superdave

superdave Proud NOOA Member

For mufflers, I'm sold on Jones Exhaust Max Flow mufflers. Outstanding value. Pretty much a MagnaFlow at 1/3 the price. They are a straight through design.

Are you going to go with headers? I would if I were doing a mild build and a full exhaust. If so, long tubes are the way to go unless you are trying to tie into an existing exhaust. Try to find headers with the thickest flanges that you can. Trust me, it makes a big difference in the seal.

On exhaust, it's kind of "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". A 2 into one 3" is fine and will most likely be the cheapest (see these threads http://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-tbi-flowtech-headers-y-pipe-on-a-vortec-3%E2%80%9D-si-so-exhaust-for-burbs.30251/ and http://www.gmt400.com/threads/finally-installed-my-custom-3-exhaust.35081/) . I just have a thing for duals, and would that way with an X or Y pipe. It just looks right to me with duals hanging out the back.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
  6. 1994chevymanual

1994chevymanual I'm Awesome

You guys have been a ton of help!!
    i actually already have JBA headers and a full exhaust from the motor back with a flowmaster single in dual out but the muffler is rusty but pipes are okay shape....and the pipes leave the headers are 2.5" and join together at a Y pipe but i know i might have tore do it for the motor

7. Jorge6.5

Jorge6.5 I'm Awesome

I have a jones muffler for under a year and it's already rusting. It's the stainless steel model

8. superdave

superdave Proud NOOA Member

Doesn't everything rust in upstate NY?

1994chevymanual likes this.
  9. Jorge6.5

Jorge6.5 I'm Awesome

Pretty much but I figured I would get at least a year out of stainless steel

10. Ernest Alvarado

Ernest Alvarado Newbie