New exhaust for mild built motor??

Discussion in 'Exhaust' started by 1994chevymanual, Dec 7, 2016.

1. 1994chevymanual

1994chevymanual I'm Awesome

I am building my motor right now and was wondering what exhaust i should go with. Its a 350 with port polished vortec heads, roller cam, flat tops ect. It will make roughly 350 HP and 370 tq. Its going into my 1994 k1500.

what set up should i go with true dual, single, cat back adn what size pipe??

2. TylerZ281500

TylerZ281500 Yukon Ridin High

well, 2.5 dual with x pipe and a decent flowing muffler, i have expensive or really cheap taste, dynomax bullets, black widow, slp, borla xr1, etc. jones makes a decent exhaust but not my style, can never go wrong with magnaflow, otherwise anything thursh and flowmaster is pretty much fan favrotie but are honestly crap in terms of flow and true sound.

beardeddummy likes this.
  3. 1994chevymanual

your thinking true dual exhaust then?

4. 1994chevymanual

Your thinking true duals then?

5. TylerZ281500

no, true duals suck, you need an x or h pipe in there

6. kennythewelder

kennythewelder I'm Awesome

I have true duals on my 97, and I am happy with it, but,, there are a lot of things that effect your exhaust flow. I have no restrictions what so ever in my system, only the size of the pipe it self, and the bends in the system. An H pipe is not very effective, an X pipe is much more effective because it has a venturi effect on the opposite pipe as the flow passes through, an H pipe does not and can not do this. Sense your truck is a 94, and has a single exhaust pipe, there is nothing wrong with that. A Camaro, and a trans am both run a 2 into 1 exhaust like your truck has. As long as the new exhaust is free flowing, that is what you need. If it was my truck, I would do a cat back free flowing system. NO FLOW MASTERS !!! SLP, Bolra, Magnaflow, ect all make a cat back system with no restrictions. Your OE pipe is big enough to handle your new engine.

7. kennythewelder

kennythewelder I'm Awesome

Oh, one more thing about your 2 into 1 OE exhaust. You have a Y pipe in this system. A Y pipe has the same effect as an X pipe. It will pull exhaust from the other side as exhaust passes through the flowing side. Same venturi effect, for the most part anyway.

8. slowburb

slowburb Ain't no half steppin'

A pair of headers, 2.5" headpipes into a 3" y, and a single 3" pipe to a 3" inlet/outlet muffler. This makes the most sense for your buildup. You can buy all these pieces or have a shop make it for you, but know that some shops cannot or do not work with 3" pipe so the ones that do sometimes charge a premuim. Use a through-style muffler instead of a chambered or turbo style muffler. These are the magnaflow, borla, spintech, pypes, spintech mufflers. The shorter the muffler case, the louder the sound.

9. TylerZ281500

im impressed by both yof you right now, it warms my heart

1994chevymanual and Jorge6.5 like this.
  10. 1994chevymanual

okay i really appreciate the advice guys!! and what about DYNOMAX i always liked the sound of their ultra flo. I want a nice deep tone aggressive tone