New Exhaust Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Daniel9597

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Daniel and I am a newb. Plain and simple, I'm just starting out. I plan to redo the entire exhaust system on my 1989 Chevrolet K1500 Silverado RCLB with a stock 350 TBI soon, and I was wanting some advice from more experienced builders such as yourselves. I don't have a ton of money to throw around, so no headers or extreme upgrades. YET. I am currently planning to buy new manifolds with Fel-Pro gaskets and new hardware, of course. I plan to eliminate the Y-pipe and replace it with an X-pipe setup, with two Thunderbolt 3 catalytic converters after the X-pipe, then just keep it straight pipe all the way back to in front of the rear wheels, with resonator tips to top off the system. The whole system will be 3" pipe. All advice and input is greatly appreciated, a newb like me could use some advice. :) Thank you in advance.

Daniel9597

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot to state that I will also be swapping to a 3 wire heated O2 sensor, and I am willing to consider all options that you guys and gals suggest. You have free reign, tell me what you believe will be best.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
dual 3" is overkill. why buy new manifolds, when you can get some shorty or midlength headers for the same money?

a single 3" will make more usable power on your setup. if you stay with duals, use an h-pipe instead of an x. they are better for low end torque and make the exhaust sound deeper and less sport car'ish.

Daniel9597

Reaction score
I am planning to purchase some full length headers down the road a bit further, but was wanting to keep stock manifolds for now. I have been trying to decide between the two for a while, and now it's leaning more towards headers. I did some research last night and realized I should use an H-pipe instead. I have heard that a single pipe will give me more usable power, but I greatly enjoy the look and sound of a dual exhaust system.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
I would go with 2.25 duals. You probably have a single converter and pipe now. You can use a y-pipe after that to split out to dual mufflers and pipes. That will allow you to tie into that if and when you do headers. If you go with a single now, you are most likely going to end up with duals when you go with headers. Do something that you won't have to scrap if and when that time comes.

edit: I re-read the OP and if you are going to replace the whole system, it really makes sense to do the headers when you do that. You are going to be spending the same amount on the exhaust without the headers, and then are going to have to re-route everything once the headers come into play. If you can get by with your current piping from the converter forward, then my advice would work.

edit #2: and check out this thread http://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-t...on-a-vortec-3”-si-so-exhaust-for-burbs.30251/

Last edited:

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
I would go with 2.25 duals. You probably have a single converter and pipe now. You can use a y-pipe after that to split out to dual mufflers and pipes. That will allow you to tie into that if and when you do headers. If you go with a single now, you are most likely going to end up with duals when you go with headers. Do something that you won't have to scrap if and when that time comes.

edit: I re-read the OP and if you are going to replace the whole system, it really makes sense to do the headers when you do that. You are going to be spending the same amount on the exhaust without the headers, and then are going to have to re-route everything once the headers come into play. If you can get by with your current piping from the converter forward, then my advice would work.

edit #2: and check out this thread http://www.gmt400.com/threads/how-to-tbi-flowtech-headers-y-pipe-on-a-vortec-3”-si-so-exhaust-for-burbs.30251/

Thanks ;) That thread didn't actually get liked/viewed as many times as I thought it would lol.

Looks like photobucket is down - images should return to that thread when it comes back up.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Thanks ;) That thread didn't actually get liked/viewed as many times as I thought it would lol.

Looks like photobucket is down - images should return to that thread when it comes back up.

You did a great write up. Don't worry about the response. I did a quick write up on my tri y installation and it didn't get much response. Maybe they help somebody. Your thread is very informative and offers a good option to what is available for exhaust.

On the expense end, I was just checking ebay, and there are several mid length SS headers available in the $130 range. There are also Hedman mids with ball flange connections and the y-pipe for $466.

Last edited:

99'Subourbon

Longroof NOOA Member
Reaction score
You did a great write up. Don't worry about the response. I did a quick write up on my tri y installation and it didn't get much response. Maybe they help somebody. Your thread is very informative and offers a good option to what is available for exhaust.

On the expense end, I was just checking ebay, and there are several mid length SS headers available in the $130 range. There are also Hedman mids with ball flange connections and the y-pipe for $466.

That's good to know -
Im waiting to get my exhaust redone till after I close on our home, but if they quote to much to modify the headers, I may end up replacing them.

Daniel9597

Reaction score
Sorry it has taken me so long, I have been busy with school and work. I have all my parts and I took them to a local exhaust shop with many good reviews. I told them what I wanted and that the only part I need from them is the piping. The lady told me that to install the system with new manifolds, a new y-pipe, a high-flow cat, and a glasspack with 2.5 inch tubing after the glasspack and 3 inch before it will cost between 600 and 700 dollars. :jawdrop: I knew I could expect at least 150 to 200 dollars for the install with tubing, but 600 to 700?!?! Was I just severely underestimating the cost, or do I need to take my business elsewhere?