Exhaust leak after replacing Intake Manifold gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah hopefully not or I may just jbweld it back in there..maybe that would work.
Don't do that to it. Upstream sensors affect your air/fuel ratio. I'd soak the bung down with some penetrating oil (kroil, pb blaster, etc. Not WD-40) for a day or two if you don't need to drive it. Start it and let it idle for a few minutes to get the manifold "warm", shut it down and slap a 6 point socket on it with a breaker bar. Get it broke loose and work it back and forth to clear the threads as you remove the remainder.

Before installing the new one, clean the threads with a thread chaser if you can get one, and apply anti-sieze to new sensor. Use care not to contaminate the sensors 'nose' with anti-sieze.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Low and behold I'll be a son of a *****..I guess the 02 sensor just fell apart..I apologize for wasting everyone time and thank you for taking the time to try and help me!
Spray penetrating fluid on the threads of the sensor, starting now. Let sit for a couple hours and then spray again. Then again. Then again. Use a 6 point socket. Tighten slightly first and then loosen a bit. If moves easy, take it out. If moves hard, spray more and tighten a little and unscrew it a little farther each time till is out.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sorry @termite, I was typing the removal info during the time you did yours. Did not mean to step on your post.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I will look into these manifold clamp kits, if not I'll leave it until it becomes a problem. Do these just break off on their own sometimes? I don't believe they've ever been messed with.
Yes, they just break off at times, by themselves. Lots of heating and cooling weakens it over time. I would replace with ARP manifold bolts if get them out.

spradilak

Reaction score
Don't do that to it. Upstream sensors affect your air/fuel ratio. I'd soak the bung down with some penetrating oil (kroil, pb blaster, etc. Not WD-40) for a day or two if you don't need to drive it. Start it and let it idle for a few minutes to get the manifold "warm", shut it down and slap a 6 point socket on it with a breaker bar. Get it broke loose and work it back and forth to clear the threads as you remove the remainder.

Before installing the new one, clean the threads with a thread chaser if you can get one, and apply anti-sieze to new sensor. Use care not to contaminate the sensors 'nose' with anti-sieze.
I guess i will tackle this in the next couple days after letting it soak for a while. I don't suppose you know th pitch of this bung do you? I purchased a 1/2-14 npt(or whatever it was) for the heater hose at the back of the intake manifold since mine broke off..it wouldn't happen to be the same would it? I will apply a tiny amount of permatex anti seize to the new one that goes in.

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
grab a 1/4-28 nut from the hardware store. I don’t think it’s metric, but if it is it might be a m6-1.0

Last edited: