New Exhaust Advice

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Just posting my exhaust to give you another option/idea
Its stock manifolds, flowmaster Y-pipe with cat, Single 3" pipe with 12" Dynomax race bullet exiting in front of the rear wheel. The race bullet is 4" with fiberglass packing around the outer 1" leaving it open 3" all the way through.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

its a little expensive, but on the other hand, they might be doing top notch work. I got mine done for $220 and they did a god awful job of welding and I ended up fixing all the leaks myself 2 years later which was about 3 weeks ago.

I recommend a setup similar to mine for a couple reasons. You have a TBI, it doesnt require much in the way of exhaust, although headers will help a lot. Its cheaper to run a single pipe and makes better low end torque. It passes emissions. Less crap in the way under the truck for future repairs and less chance of hitting or burying the exhaust in the dirt off road. Just my opinion to think about.

Last edited:

Daniel9597

Reaction score
Just posting my exhaust to give you another option/idea
Its stock manifolds, flowmaster Y-pipe with cat, Single 3" pipe with 12" Dynomax race bullet exiting in front of the rear wheel. The race bullet is 4" with fiberglass packing around the outer 1" leaving it open 3" all the way through.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

its a little expensive, but on the other hand, they might be doing top notch work. I got mine done for $220 and they did a god awful job of welding and I ended up fixing all the leaks myself 2 years later which was about 3 weeks ago.

I recommend a setup similar to mine for a couple reasons. You have a TBI, it doesnt require much in the way of exhaust, although headers will help a lot. Its cheaper to run a single pipe and makes better low end torque. It passes emissions. Less crap in the way under the truck for future repairs and less chance of hitting or burying the exhaust in the dirt off road. Just my opinion to think about.
Your truck sounds incredible, SkyHighColorado. I know it would be easier for a single pipe setup, but I really enjoy the dual outlet exhaust. How is the interior resonance with your setup? I like how that sounds and might use that setup with headers later.

OutlawDrifter

Long Roof K2500 Driver
Reaction score
most places don't like it when you bring in all of your stuff. realistically, it's probably not too far off. you have to remember, they are removing your old stuff too, that takes time. 2.5" dual pipes from a muffler, bent, welded, with tips should be aroun $250-$300 depending on the shop.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Sorry it has taken me so long, I have been busy with school and work. I have all my parts and I took them to a local exhaust shop with many good reviews. I told them what I wanted and that the only part I need from them is the piping. The lady told me that to install the system with new manifolds, a new y-pipe, a high-flow cat, and a glasspack with 2.5 inch tubing after the glasspack and 3 inch before it will cost between 600 and 700 dollars. :jawdrop: I knew I could expect at least 150 to 200 dollars for the install with tubing, but 600 to 700?!?! Was I just severely underestimating the cost, or do I need to take my business elsewhere?

New manifolds? Are you talking about headers? If so, that is going to account for a lot of the cost they are quoting. That goes a bit farther than just bending up some pipes. Even if it's replacing the manifolds with new stock style units, they run the risk of breaking bolts and having to extract those.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Your truck sounds incredible, SkyHighColorado. I know it would be easier for a single pipe setup, but I really enjoy the dual outlet exhaust. How is the interior resonance with your setup? I like how that sounds and might use that setup with headers later.
Thanks, the resonance inside is not bad at all. I think the motor was still warming up in that video, its normally not quit as loud at idle. This set up gets loud under load, but just cruising on the highway its pretty quiet. I love going down steep hills in first gear because it starts making the popping noise like big rigs. My previous setup made some popping do that but not like this one. It snowed last night and i dont want to drive it, but once it clears up ill get another video for you. Those dynomax race bullets are cheap and sound good in my opinion. I had magnaflow before and hated it.

Daniel9597

Reaction score
No new headers yet, I had new manifolds given to me by an uncle that he got me for my 18th birthday. I found out today that if I take off the manifolds and y-pipe myself and install the new ones, along with buy my own tubing, they will drastically drop the price.

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
No new headers yet, I had new manifolds given to me by an uncle that he got me for my 18th birthday. I found out today that if I take off the manifolds and y-pipe myself and install the new ones, along with buy my own tubing, they will drastically drop the price.

I initially thought it was a lot, and then I noticed that you mentioned new manifolds. Douse down all the manifold bolts with PB Blaster or something similar daily for a few days prior to trying to remove them. Hit the studs for the y pipe too if you can. I may help a lot with removal.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Yeah and if you have air tools, use the impact maxed out. Mine made quick work of my system. Go to the hardware store and get all new zinc coated hardware for new install. Last thing you want is what happened to me, badly rusted cheap hardware.

Daniel9597

Reaction score
I have access to air tools, yeah. Thanks for the advice, I'll drown the bolts in penetrating oil and then attack them with an impact gun. Good tip on the hardware, I've already got the new stuff. I looked today and two of the spring bolts holding the y-pipe to my old manifolds are gone on each side. I bet I'll be able to just smack it with a hammer and it will fall off, so I am very glad to finally get my new exhaust setup started.

Daniel9597

Reaction score
So I finally got around to taking off my old manifolds and y-pipe. The manifolds came off no problem thanks to my dad. He uses a custom penetrating lube at his small engine repair shop made half of transmission fluid and half of acetone. I know it sounds crazy but my GOD it works. I replaced the manifolds and the y-pipe was so stubborn I had to chop it up to get it out of the catalytic converter. In fact, due to working 40+ hour weeks at my part-time job and also going to school for 6 hours a day, my truck is currently sitting in my shop on jack stands, waiting for me to cut off the cat (since I basically destroyed it getting the y-pipe off), put in the new y-pipe, and connect the extra pipe I have here to complete the system until I take the truck to the muffler shop. Thank you for all the information, guys, you were a great help to this newbie.