Need some pitman arm advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
No, Sorry, it's actually an OTC. I bought it from the Snap on guy. Looks like this. And it wasn't all that expensive if I remember

You must be registered for see images attach

Amazon has it for $60

Hmmm, that just looks like a regular pitman puller with a grade 8 bolt in the screw threads and a hole drilled down it's center.

Methinks a modification is in order the next time I have to pull the pitman on my truck.....

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Hmmm, that just looks like a regular pitman puller with a grade 8 bolt in the screw threads and a hole drilled down it's center.

Methinks a modification is in order the next time I have to pull the pitman on my truck.....

Pretty much. Mine doesn't have that insert at the top. It's solid. I have used it a few times and it works great.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
pulling the box is like a 5 minute job to take off and get back on anyhow.

Not if you have iffy looking lines to the box. If your changing the lines and box, then yes. But when your trying to just change the pitman arm, you can open a whole new can of worms.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
pulling the box is like a 5 minute job to take off and get back on anyhow.

Little bit more "risk" involved f-ing with a hydro boost truck.

I'd be perfectly happy to pull the pitman without trying to jimmy the box around....

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
I've done more than "a couple" pitman arms on 4x4 gmt400s. Just plain hard to get at and a major pita every time. Even to the point of breaking pitman arm pullers. Make you mess yer shorts when one of those breaks. I also use air tools, no strong arming it for me. The pitman arm has always had a death grip on the sector shaft in my experience. I've always replaced OEM ones, haven't had to replace aftermarket yet. I will say most replacement ones seem to be "thinner" and don't go as far on the shaft from what I've seen. Might make those easier to get off, dunno.

The gm PS lines are best not messed with if they are OEM and not leaking. Never have much good luck getting replacement lines to seal up properly with that stupid o ring backed single flare end. Can be done, but chance of comeback is high. Why they couldn't just use a simple double flare end I'll never know. Frigging with the box with lines attached is a sure recipe for bending them.

Basically, if the arm can be pulled in situ it wouldl alleviate a lot of hassle......

Last edited:

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
trying to do it while in the truck yea its a pain, i just always ended up popping the bolt off the steering linkage, pull the two hoses off the box, undo the pitman from the centerlink and zip the three bolts off the gear box itself, take that off, take the pitman off the box install the new one, put it all back together.