Pitman arm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If your seeing lateral movement in the pitman arm it's steering shaft bearings that are toast.

The best way I've found to pull pitman arms is with a puller and a rosebud torch. Put serious pressure on it with the puller then heat the arm with the torch. As soon as the arm pops loose immediately spray the shaft with a water hose to cool the shaft and keep from burning out the seal.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, cool good to know. I never ended up attempting to remove pitman arm cause it has a 1 5/16 nut and I don't have any sockets that large. Using a wrench or breaker bar could damage bearing in steering box apparently.

How much force do you think that box sees just driving around? Way more than the torque required to crack that nut loose regardless of your tool of choice. You're overthinking it. Hit the arm with a torch and you'll fight less with the puller.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You didn't say if it was 4x4 but I am almost certain you have to remove the steering box to get the arm off in a K series. I found a socket that fit at O'Reilly. I think it was 30 or 32mm. I have a big ass crescent wrench that also fits but there isn't enough room to remove the nut.
If you just want to tighten it the torque value is something ridiculous north of 200ft/lbs.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Service manual " 185 ft lbs " , I don't remove the box for the pitman arm. 95 K2500.

RanchWelder

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The steering box mounting bolts, might require the elusive 19mm socket, (which doesn't come in the partial 1/2" drive impact set from ATP).
Try the 3/4" SAE socket?

You need to be a contortionist to get that arm off without tearing a good deal of the front end off the truck.
Bring a flexi-able stripper to help you!

("Parts Stripper", ... for you guys with the filthy mind...)

Weld it on, if in doubt!
Just keep a wet rag to cool it off quickly, so the seal's and the grease bellow's don't get burned, (if you have any left), or the bearings might get heat soaked.

Whatever you do, do NOT clean the baked-on grime off, or the entire system will start to fail.
I am not pulling your leg, either. We have hundreds trucks from 1970's/1980's, still working on ranches, (here in MT where there is no salted roads). Soon as you pressure wash them, they fall apart.

The wet rag is to stop it from burning and melting the baked on stuff, before it loosens everything up.
Soon as you clean it, the front end will start to shake and the wheel will wander in the wind.

Just drive slow, stay local, and it might last for a few decades like that.

Baked on grease, oil and power steering fluid, is your friend!

Last edited: