Need some pitman arm advice!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
I'm working on my dad's '92 suburban 2wd. I have a 2 jaw puller on it right now and I can get it loose. Any advice.

Sent from Robl@nd

steampunk1375

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tighten you're puller on there real good then smack the tightening nut with a hammer, I've done it lots with pitman arm pullers, they're a little tougher than a 2-jaw puller though.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Went to napa and rented a pitman arm puller. Worked in two minutes with the impact gun.

Sent from Robl@nd

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
wait till u have to do a 4x4 pitman arm. PITA

By the book, the box comes out. I bought a rebuilt AC Delco box and simply had a shop replace it along with the pitman arm. I know some guys will disconnect the steering column and simply rotate it up, but I figured that was close enough to removing it, that I didn't think it was worth it.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
wait till u have to do a 4x4 pitman arm. PITA

Snap On makes a puller just for these. Works without pulling the box. The nut part of the puller is above the puller arm. And you use a wrench to tighten. Works pretty good, but takes some getting use to. Plus it helps to have a air hammer to rattle it a bit.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Snap On makes a puller just for these. Works without pulling the box. The nut part of the puller is above the puller arm. And you use a wrench to tighten. Works pretty good, but takes some getting use to. Plus it helps to have a air hammer to rattle it a bit.

Is it the YA6880?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item...roup_ID=675442&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

That's a lot of money!

It looks like it might mess up the shaft coming out of the box unless the arm is machined to keep it centered.

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
No, Sorry, it's actually an OTC. I bought it from the Snap on guy. Looks like this. And it wasn't all that expensive if I remember

You must be registered for see images attach

Amazon has it for $60