NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
been talking to little shop about it and they appear to do a few things to the later front spindle to get it to fit. will cut and paste the email discussion I am having with them as it may help.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It'd be the 16" stuff on my website. Similar pricing as the 88-98 14" stuff.

http://www.littleshopmfg.com/gm-99-15-silverado-sierra-6-lug-16-front-big-brake-kit/
and
http://www.littleshopmfg.com/gm-99-15-silverado-sierra-6-lug-16-rear-big-brake-kit/

--
Eric Saliba
Little Shop
www.littleshopmfg.com
@thelilshopmfg on IG
www.facebook.com/thelittleshop

On Thu, Jan 28, 2016 at 6:11 PM, Chris Rogers <[email protected]>wrote:
Understand :) . No matter how I do this there is going to be some modifying as it was never meant to take vehicle speed based on the abs system.

Flipping the later spindle sounds like an idea. I know the 4wd stuff can be made to fit the earlier trucks didn't think about the 2wd variant fitting mine. Looks like some measuring is in order and a trip to the local importer to see if the have any front spindles.

If all this fits what kit are we going to use?

Thanks,

Chris

On Jan 29, 2016, at 4:59 AM, Eric Saliba <[email protected]> wrote:

Unfortunately the only good way for us to get a kit on the front is to swap to the 5x5 spindle found on the 1/2 ton trucks. In the rear, the axle could be redrilled 5x5 and come up with a kit that matches. On this one, I believe you'll be doing some work no matter what.

I wonder if you could modify a 99-06 front spindle to work with your control arms. It'll have an ABS sensor, 6-lug, and be easy to put big brakes on. We commonly drill the bottoms of those spindles to flip the balljoints from the factory direction to the bottom (making it a drop spindle) and the joints we swap to are the Moog K6445 lower like what's on on 88-98 trucks.

--
Eric Saliba
Little Shop
www.littleshopmfg.com
@thelilshopmfg on IG

On Wed, Jan 27, 2016 at 3:01 PM, Chris Rogers <[email protected]>wrote:
Thanks,
Wasn't sure if I had that public or not.
This where things get interesting (I will explain) .
Donor is 4wd and 6 stud. None of this front end will bolt to my truck.
My Truck is 2wd and 5 stud.
Now, 1988-1999 c2500 2WD is 6 stud set up (88-91 is set up with a different spindle) 95-98 will bolt up and give me a 6 stud front with ABS sensors. Make sense so far?
The c2500 rear ends are also a bolt in to gain 14 bolt rear. There is a difference in width of 2-3". Down fall for me is no individual wheel sensors and disc brakes hence the 99-06 rear which I will get modified ( engineer requirement ) to fit under the truck.

Does that help?

On Jan 28, 2016, at 12:31 AM, Eric Saliba <[email protected]> wrote:

Yup, the pics worked.

So the Escalade is a 6 lug 2wd? I thought the 2wds had the same gear as the 2wd trucks (5 lug) but honestly I don't know much about them. All the 3/4 tons are 8-lug to my knowledge also.

If you can identify the spindle and confirm if it's the same, or different, from a 88-98 2wd truck then that will tell us something. If it's different, maybe find what group it shares with. I did a little searching but cant confirm what the Escalades had under them for that year.

--
Eric Saliba
Little Shop
www.littleshopmfg.com
@thelilshopmfg on IG

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 4:44 PM, Chris Rogers <[email protected]> wrote:
Eric,

Part two of the the brake question.
This is the truck.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10207948431731897.1330376598&type=3

(that should be public - tell me if its not.)

Bought as a run and drive from Copart in Tulsa for $1k USDThe goal was to rebuild and fit later gear to it whilst keeping it LHD. Due to the rules here in Oz anything after 1989 has to be rebuilt for RHD. To me this wrecks these trucks as they never drive the same again. It had minor frame damage on the right side that I had repaired so everything would bolt straight on.

Pix should tell the story. As it sits now it has LITERALLY everything from the donor from the B pillar forward on it. Hence the request for ABS 6 stud front hubs. Truck is obviously 2wd : - ) . bed has been swapped as stated earlier to a fleetside as that stepside bed was trashed by the previous owner before.

Thanks,

Chris.

From: [email protected] [mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Eric Saliba
Sent: Tuesday, 26 January 2016 11:25 PM
To: Chris Rogers
Subject: Re: Big brake kits

Thanks for getting with me from your part of the world man. I've always been impressed with what you guys are doing down there.

I'm sure we can come up with a brake solution for what you're doing, although it might be some work. You'll have to tell me a little more about the front spindle and hubs you're using. Is it the 98 truck or a 99-newer Escalade?

The 99-06 truck axle is not a problem.

--

Eric Saliba
Little Shop
www.littleshopmfg.com

@thelilshopmfg on IG

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 5:42 AM, Chris Rogers <[email protected]> wrote:

Eric,

Found you originally via Google. Looking at your site you manufacture big brake kits for the 88-98 chev trucks. I am in process of building a 98 one badged as a escalade with a literal swap of the escalade from b pillar forward. Truck is a reg cab SWB with a fleet side bed.

I need big brakes under this and 4 wheel discs. (There is a twin turbo L96 planned for this truck) I also need to retain the ABS system as the engine computer handles the traction control based on the ABS and it is sensors something I am going to need with 900hp at the rear wheels

Does your kit allow this? Also does it support 6 stud hubs? Intend to swap the rear to a 14 bolt later rear from a 99-06 truck. Wanting to do a front and rear kit similar looking to what you have done with the late model truck shown on your FB page.

Thanks,

Chris Rogers

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Looks like the NBS brake hoses take a 7/16-24 fitting vs 3/8-24 for the OBS. AGS BLF-22B should work to adapt or you could flare a new fitting for 3/16 line to 7/16 fitting.
This thread really needs a clean up. The original post is inaccurate in places, and there is a lot of talk about 2WD brakes that don't have any relevance to the original thread.

Edited post to reflect that the GM catalog is dumb.

Last edited:

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There really needs to be a PDF for both. It's taken me months of digging and talking with others to work this out.

Thoughts?

GordonCustoms

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Idk if this has been discussed or thought of but could the 2wd obs guys swap to tortion bar suspension like the nbs 2wd then maybe you guys could do this swap

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Once I get all the parts for mine I will post a PDF for the 2wd version. No real point posting images as they get lost from linking to other sites.

84cj

Reaction score
First off, honestly, I've only read the first two pages and the last. So if this was discussed, I apologize.

At the shop I work at, we see the NBS trucks with bad wheel bearing/hub assemblies and ABS issues due to rust under the sensor mounting area. My question. Is it worth having to replace hubs every 70k for the better brakes, are they that much better?? I've got over 180,000 on my 97 and I've replaced only one hub assembly, once.