NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have a 2wd just use NBS 2wd spindles, might be different size BJs though.

If you have a 2500/3500 just use NBS 2500/3500 spindles and tell us if the CVs fit. =)

what about a 2wd 1500 with ABS? if I am reading right I grab everything off the GMT800 platform and carry it across?

when doing a engine swap in Oz the first thing the engineers look at is braking capacity. (in my case its a LS2 twin turbo)

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah so I just went and looked at a yard. This is NOT possible with a 2wd without a complete rework and redesign of the front end. OBS and NBS 2wd are completely different lower, upper control arms. spindles are different heights. control arms are totally totally different. myth busted.

crap. that puts me back to the 2500 LD and 1 ton calipers.. looking for MUCH more meat under the front end.

Petee

Reaction score
Hi All

I am doing a full front suspension rebuild on my 89 k1500 4X4 and this upgrade along with NBS master cylinder looks like the ticket to improving the crappy stock brake system Chevy put on the OBS trucks.
I have read through this thread and think I have a good idea of the parts needed and the task at hand. But I have a few questions if someone could please give their opinion? If I under stand correctly I can use the CV axles off a 2005 1500 rather than modifying and tampering down that edge of my current CV axle? and I was looking at buying this brake kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWR-KC2067-36 or am I better of going with AC Delco calipers and rotors?

Thanks

Petee

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi All

I am doing a full front suspension rebuild on my 89 k1500 4X4 and this upgrade along with NBS master cylinder looks like the ticket to improving the crappy stock brake system Chevy put on the OBS trucks.
I have read through this thread and think I have a good idea of the parts needed and the task at hand. But I have a few questions if someone could please give their opinion? If I under stand correctly I can use the CV axles off a 2005 1500 rather than modifying and tampering down that edge of my current CV axle? and I was looking at buying this brake kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/PWR-KC2067-36 or am I better of going with AC Delco calipers and rotors?

Thanks

Petee

Hey Petee,

Good luck with the upgrade, I think you'll find it worth the effort! Yes, use the NBS half shafts, they go with the new hubs and knuckles you'll be installing. As for the summit brakes, I haven't used em, but was pretty happy using powerslots rather than the oem rotors before my upgrade. The ac delco parts I got for my truck are great, I wouldn't steer you away from using them at all.

I've read some folks don't like the drilled rotors as they can heat crack, and of course you won't be able to turn the rotors down the road if you want to re-surface them. But the price looks fair and I've had a good experience with summit so if you don't want to try the NBS oems, there you go...

Best,
Cove

Petee

Reaction score
Hey Cove

Thanks for confirming the CV shafts will work and I was already leaning towards the Ac Delco parts and not being able to turn the rotors down the road seals the deal. I already have her torn down, control arm bushing pressed out, a little more cleaning and painting to do. Just a matter of ordering parts and getting her back together.

Thanks again

Petee

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Hey Petee,

Good luck with the upgrade, I think you'll find it worth the effort! Yes, use the NBS half shafts, they go with the new hubs and knuckles you'll be installing. As for the summit brakes, I haven't used em, but was pretty happy using powerslots rather than the oem rotors before my upgrade. The ac delco parts I got for my truck are great, I wouldn't steer you away from using them at all.

I've read some folks don't like the drilled rotors as they can heat crack, and of course you won't be able to turn the rotors down the road if you want to re-surface them. But the price looks fair and I've had a good experience with summit so if you don't want to try the NBS oems, there you go...

Best,
Cove

Cross drilled rotors can be turned, I turned a lot of them when I worked at CARQUEST.

laxman21

Reaction score
What year hubs and knuckles work best for this swap?

Will the NBS front axle shafts bolt into the OBS?

There is a 2003 with everything at the pick and pull..

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know the part # for the 1/4" to 3/16" adapter fitting for the brake lines?

Z71SE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I completed this swap and the GMT800 brakes are an improvement, but the pedal still requires too much effort to bring the truck to a stop. I did 02 Escalade front knuckles/ rotors/ calipers and an 02 Silverado master cylinder. The dead spot from the GMT400 master is much improved, but I still think the brakes could feel better.

When converting to hydroboost, is it better to use the GMT400 or GMT800 setup?