NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just get an entire rear axle from a GMT 800. The GMT 800 14 bolt full floater is about 2.5" wider in track. The leaf springs are in slightly different position, so you have to cut off the spring perches and weld new in the correct position for the GMT 400. Also need to do the same for the snubber perches. The GMT 800 axle will need a different yoke to connect to the GMT 400 drive shaft. Make sure you retain the parking brake cables and the balance adjuster where the two sides meet. The rest of the cable can be modified to join up at the adjuster. Some brackets will be needed on the frame rails.

Thats alot of work for a rear disk conversion on a 10bolt. This way is much eaiser http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...t-actually-worked&p=1060557638#post1060557638

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive read through this twice now and only read a couple references to this folks doing this conversion a 14 bolt SF axle, but they had ABS. I dont have ABS ('92 K1500 w/o ABS),

● Does anyone know what prop. valve should be used for this upgrade with a 14 bolt SF and no ABS??? ●

I dont have an F44 truck and am adding the 14 bolt SF w/ drums. Unfortunately, I bought the complete axle and the truck it had come from had already been scrapped, so no stock prop valve for it. Ive been looking through boneyards, but have yet to find another 14 bolt SF in the "early years"...

shovelbill

Oh, the horror...
Reaction score
Ive read through this twice now and only read a couple references to this folks doing this conversion a 14 bolt SF axle, but they had ABS. I dont have ABS ('92 K1500 w/o ABS),

● Does anyone know what prop. valve should be used for this upgrade with a 14 bolt SF and no ABS??? ●

I dont have an F44 truck and am adding the 14 bolt SF w/ drums. Unfortunately, I bought the complete axle and the truck it had come from had already been scrapped, so no stock prop valve for it. Ive been looking through boneyards, but have yet to find another 14 bolt SF in the "early years"...

i'm not positive, but i think that info is in here somewhere:
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/swap-upgrades-to-front-calipers.6251/page-11

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from

I think it's 15633168, can't confirm though.

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I will try and crossreference that number tonight. Thanks!

Im still piecing my chassis together, and knowing that GMT800 Knuckles and brake components are not that hard to find.... kind of a no brainer to add these to the chassis plans now.... having sourced a pair of late 90's HD2500-1 ton forged lower A-arms already, it should make for a fairly nice front suspension and braking upgrade from the laughable original '92 Z71 package.

Last edited:

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmmm, wondering about the swap, or if simply going to a stock hydroboost is better?

Anyone tried both, seperately?
If so, which did you prefer?

And Hell, while we are at it, has anyone tried adding a new hydroboost to their 4x4 NBS brake swap?

Last edited:

Truckee19

Reaction score
So I can get 2000 NBS knuckles/hubs and get 06 dual piston calipers and 13 inch rotors from a 06 and up NBS for my k94 k1500 and swap them right ?

And what about the reamer? Or what ever it's called what is the correct size I need and name
Of tool? And none of the pic work on the post.