NBS Front Brake Swap for OBS Trucks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No problems whatsoever with the alignment. That's a good reason to do all the front end stuff at once I think since the alignment is needed after the knuckles, BJs, tie rods, pitman and idler arms. If any of those items are worn..nows the time to do em!

I bought new hubs and axles as well (fitment for the nbs trucks), not worn out but are different from our trucks so needed to be swapped.

The post by mike with thanks to rocky Thorton was my roadmap, it was very accurate and thorough. I'm a home garage wrencher and didn't run into any problems. The lower BJs were the toughest part of the whole operation, if you do them make sure you buy or borrow a decent press.

I did the NBS MC swap as well (before the knuckles). That would be essential for the new brakes / larger volume calipers.

I'm happy to answer any other questions, this was a really fun and satisfying project for me. Worst part of my rig was always those brakes!

Last edited:

metaljunkie

Reaction score
Thanks for info. I was concerned with the tie rod angle changing and causing bump steer. Did the NBS axle shafts bolt in without any modifications? How is the brake pedal feel compared to the OBS master cylinder and brake setup?

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a 1999 k1500 Burb. GMT 400/OBS
No bump steer, you actually flip the outer tie rods to fit the nbs knuckle. The nbs half shafts fit the nbs hubs fit the nbs knuckles. They bolt differently than obs so those parts need upgrading.

The nbs mc gives a firmer feel, like much improved from the obs step bore.

Last edited:

metaljunkie

Reaction score
I was wondering about the half shafts bolting up to the differential flange. I'm going to keep the stock 16 inch wheels so it seems the biggest benefit for me is the dual piston calipers and about 1/2 inch bigger rotor. Thanks for the info.

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
NBS. I used fitments for a 2005 k1500 for the knuckles, hubs and cv shafts. Since I have 18" wheels I used the fitment for the 2009 14.5" rotors , calipers and brackets.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive looked all over the place and I cant find a rotor for a 2009 chevy thats 14.5". Can you give a specific model? The biggest I can find is 13". Oh, and pics of your setup would be cool too.