My history with the GMT400 platform

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Here's where it all started for me...
July,1988: 2WD Silverado $12,800.00 out the door. Bought with the intention of making it a lowered street truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

August 1988,new KMC wheels.

September 1988,4/4 Belltech drop.

1990: Sleeper...Hey,how ya gonna get 2 10" and 2 12" subs in a RCSB?
New KMC wheels, minutes before it went in for a 6" flip in the rear.

6"flip, lost the 70s van side windows,and added a sunroof.

1989: huge ass exhaust tips 20 years before they were "ricer". silly admittiedly, but different for the time.

1992: another new look, New paint. a sign of the times.

Lost the sleeper about a year later.

1994, another redo,shaved tails,handles,gas door,stake pockets,one off dash and center console, cowl hood, OOBS rallye's, never to be completed.

1995: stepside conversion,redo back to daily driver status for my fiancee'

1995 continued.... Re skinning doors to put handles back on.

GMC grille, 3rd smooth bumper,cowl hood,classic rallye's '95-up mirrors, composite headlights. (thanks Uhaul)

Sold to a friend in 2004, baby on the way, need a back seat. He then painted the hoops on the wheels to match the blue. I never liked it, but it was his truck.

1998: The unmolested 1994 suburban cheyenne, bone stock nosebleed height, roofrack and all, all I saw when I looked at it, all I saw were those giant red pillars.

August 1998: Stripped, off to the bodyshop for a roofrack shave,twotone, some minor bodywork and clearcoat.

1999: At the quarry with 17" centerlines,4/6 drop,chevy grille,dumbo ear mirrors, twin grille bumper, 5% tint on rears,35%on fronts.

August 2007 traded the wifes S Blazer for a 2000 Z71 Tahoe, Tossed the grille guard, side bars, and turned the white letters in.

2007: New 18/20 Coys wheels,GMC grille, 30 bar billet, clear corners, diamond headlights, HID's smooth bumper, streetscene mirrors.
At this point, the paint is almost 10 years old. Being outside has taken it's toll. If you look closely, you can see the faded roof.

Present day. (sort of, 1 year ago)

Dec. '08 picked up a well worn 2wd '91 step to do work around the house, and became a small side project.

Added a chevy grille and smooth bumper I had lying around, '73-'87 rallye wheels with astrovan center caps, new headlights, and turn signals.

Sport mirrors, police Tahoe wheels, and clear corners.

2/4 drop.

Complete interior redo (but that's a whole thread in itself)

Workin' it like a mule..

Family portrait

Still going...

Dec. '09 The dually replaces the stepside in lieu of a bigger bed.

Last edited:

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow... that 88 was a long time coming, as was the burb. Your family looks great.

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's always so cool to look at those pics of the '88. I remember seeing trucks with heartbeats, scallops, sleepers and those wheels thinking they were so cool back then. Man, how far we've come.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This thread is great! You've been at it for so long I feel like an amateur!

1badgmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's why you should never get rid of something that you put so much into. Of all my vehicles, the '91 is the least likely to ever be sold.

My dad had a '53 Mercury in high school. After graduation, he joined the Air Force, met my mom when he was here in Texas, went off to Viet Nam and then came back and stayed here. The Mercury was left in my grandfather's barn in Indiana. A guy came and bought it while my dad was oversees and that was the end of it. I guess about a year ago, a guy tracked my dad down. It was the guy who bought the car from him. He had kept the car all these years and has just finished a very long, expensive restoration on it. So, when we went up to Indiana last summer, I got to see and take a ride in my dad's old high school car. Pretty neat experience.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
QQn @ that fleet always give me more motivation to do a bit more to the Silvy or maybe even buy another OBS to build on.

Great work Gregg !!!!!!

The Daver

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Awesome story man I am jealous...and I have owned two short box step sides two 2 door tahoes and another reg cab long bed lol.......I have a question tho. What is your burban lowered currently and what size are the rims/tires?

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
This thread is great! You've been at it for so long I feel like an amateur!

I had originally been looking for a '85 to '87 or so pickup at the time, because I grew up seeing them customized, I bought my first issue of Truckin' in 1981 I spent a fair amount of time in the southwest because I had family In Arizona, so I saw a lot of street trucks there to influence me. 2WD shortboxes were just not that common in the northeast. A dealer had what was the last (that I knew of) '87 shortbox in the area at the time. I was iffy on it because it was a 6 cyl stripper. I knew I could make it whatever I wanted, but then I saw the first lowered "88 by Boyd on the cover of Truckin', and I had to have one.

That's why you should never get rid of something that you put so much into.

If it were only that easy.The '88 was offered back to me when my friend needed to sell it, but I just couldnt justify it at the time, so I told him to let it go.

QQn @ that fleet always give me more motivation to do a bit more to the Silvy or maybe even buy another OBS to build on.

Great work Gregg !!!!!!

Awesome story man I am jealous...and I have owned two short box step sides two 2 door tahoes and another reg cab long bed lol.......I have a question tho. What is your burban lowered currently and what size are the rims/tires?

wow... that 88 was a long time coming, as was the burb. Your family looks great.

Thanks,

Ahhh... the question I get asked the most.

4/6 Belltech drop
20x10 with a 295/45
18x8.5 with a 235/50

Last edited: