My documented TBI-to-Vortec 350 conversion!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Honestly why not just go ahead and carb it right now. It would make it simpler, and give you more options.

~Via Mobile \,,/

To be honest, I wouldn't mind. Its just finances at this point. When I do decide to Carb it, I'm gonna do some research and get a badass four-barrel. That's $$$. Haha. For now ill be able to drive her while I learn about Carb swaps, how to tune them, etc. My old man has been telling me to Carb it ever since I started having problems with the EFI.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Big update. Got my new heads :D they are rebuilt, ported, polished 062 cast 5.7 heads. They are pretty sexy! Still in plastic wrapping. Paid $300, plus the old TBI heads as core.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not a bad deal on those heads if the work was done right! Did you buy them from a shop or an individual? If you bought them from a person I'd still have a good shop check them out just to make sure they were good....

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Not a bad deal on those heads if the work was done right! Did you buy them from a shop or an individual? If you bought them from a person I'd still have a good shop check them out just to make sure they were good....

Bought them from a guy who owns a shop. He has a few sets of these. And about 80 blocks, plus another 200 at his shop. Said he's ready to retire. Lol.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
To be honest, I wouldn't mind. Its just finances at this point. When I do decide to Carb it, I'm gonna do some research and get a badass four-barrel. That's $$$. Haha. For now ill be able to drive her while I learn about Carb swaps, how to tune them, etc. My old man has been telling me to Carb it ever since I started having problems with the EFI.

i prefer Holley style carbs myself, i run a Demon, when you get to that point, let me know

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the edelbrock carb on my 78 about 10 years ago, set it up an haven't touched it since...

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
PICS!

You must be registered for see images attach

Recieved them already painted black. Thinking about doing my Valve covers red to match the scheme of my truck. Thoughts?

Preeeeeeetty!

Aaaaaand the Vortec "Sawtooth" casting mark.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Another update! Just ordered my Carb-to-TBI adapter. It's about 1/4in thick, And I'm starting to think about clearance issues since my new intake is about an inch taller than the stock one. We'll see how that goes. Worst-case scenario, my stock hood doesn't clear it and I either need a shorter air cleaner or a cowl hood :secret:.

That brings the parts list to a dramatic close! Now all I need is the complete head gasket kit from O'reillys and I need to start cleaning the block for re-assembly. That means next week on Wed. I will have the gasket kit, new antifreeze, and new oil. Thinking about going full synthetic for the hell of it. We'll see. Thanks for staying tuned, guys! Will also document the re-assembly process when the time comes.