My documented TBI-to-Vortec 350 conversion!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Hey guys! As some of you may know, I recently had to rip apart my motor due to blowing a head and/or headgasket. I was originally going to have the heads cleaned and rebuilt, and throw some new gaskets on her, but then I got to thinking that this would be a perfect time to pick up some Vortec heads and intake, and get the ol' girl breathing a little better. Here's how she sits right now:

You must be registered for see images

That's antifreeze in cylinder #8. During dis-assembly, I pulled the spark plug to that cylinder and coolant started pouring out. Total "Whelp, THERE's your problem!" moment.

So far, I have ordered a Summit Racing Stage 1 Square-bore intake that will bolt right to the Vortec heads, allowing me to simply use an adapter to keep the TBI, and the ability to go to a carb later if I wanted to. Here she is, less than $150, not bad at all!

You must be registered for see images attach

So far I don't know whether I'm going to go with aftermarket assembled heads, or find a set at U pull it to have rebuilt and cleaned. I'll be documenting the swap and parts list as I go. It's gonna be a few weeks of DDing my parents cars, but they are being a huge help and even trying to help finance the conversion. Can't wait for the old girl to live again.

And if anyone has any tips or comments, feel free to let loose. I am always learning new things from you more "seasoned" guys.

UPDATE 7/4, 4:47am.

For anyone who may be following the thread, here's the parts list so far, plus links to anyone researching the swap.

-SUM-226018 Intake, Four-barrel, Vortec bolt pattern = $144
-#062 Vortec heads. Ported, polished, painted black. Found locally for $300.
-Trans-Dapt 2210 four-barrel to TBI adapter, center mount. = $53
-New set of head bolts, both sides = $24 locally.

So far, $521.

Tomorrow I'll be picking up the small stuff. Need two brass fittings, some hose, oil change stuff, coolant, head gaskets, and intake gaskets. I'm hoping to stay under $100 for all of that.

Last edited:

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Also, dropped off the stock swirly heads to get magnafluxed the other day. If they are okay, then that's a little more financing for the swap, since I won't be needing them and can sell them to someone who might.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
the vortec-tbi intake is stupid expensive and flows like , he went the better way!

good luck selling those TBI heads, i had 2 sets, and literally couldn't give them away.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
They sell an intake for a TBI on vortec heads.

Saw it on GM performance. Stupid expensive. Lol. And this one gives me a bit of flexibility in terms of induction.

I believe he's got it :)
Cool project buddy, thought it was a total heart transplant at first because of the title :p
Hopefully she likes the mods, I'm sure she will!

Haha hell, i was almost tempted to start an LS swap, but that would be impractical cause i wouldn't have a vehicle for a few months.

the vortec-tbi intake is stupid expensive and flows like , he went the better way!

good luck selling those TBI heads, i had 2 sets, and literally couldn't give them away.

If i cant get rid of them, oh well. Already have tons of parts laying in my room :lol:.

Also, your truck has a roller cam... that isnt stock for a tbi truck engine...

You sure? o_O

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
1st, Josh is dead on. You've got lifter guides, which means you've got a roller cam. Easy way to make sure would be to just pull one of the lifters quick and see if they're flat or roller. No TBI trucks came as roller lifter trucks.

Second. RHS makes a set of Vortec style aluminum heads complete for $900. I'll try to find a P# for ya.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a set of stock vortec heads I bought from summit racing in 2010 for ~$700 that I'm looking to sell. They are bolted up on my old engine I pulled out of my truck and am replacing with a new crate motor as the old one had something go in the bottom end less than 8000 miles after I replaced the old cracked heads.

They have new rockers/pushrods on them, I can ship them to you with the stock vortec valve covers and exhaust manifolds from my `96 too since my new motor came with everything. Looking for $450 for them plus whatever shipping would cost.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
You sure? o_O

100% sure, thats what the weird looking plate thing is in your lifter valley, it holds the lifter guides in place for roller rockers, flat tappet (TBI truck) cams dont have that.

i believe cars had roller cams though, whatever is in there isnt a stock engine for a truck.