My documented TBI-to-Vortec 350 conversion!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
I would never run my cam with EFI, I don't think it would run actually haha, it makes barely any vacuum, I have a vacuum canister and still get hard pedal some times!

Lopey, plus driveability don't really mix! I would find out what cam you have currently first off!

Sent from my Igloo

Good to know! Thanks for the info, man. Maybe ill just get a mild cam.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Small update. Returned the gasket set for the stock TBI heads/intake to O'Reillys, will pick up the Vortec set after parts gathering is complete.

Also,found a set of heads locally. They have actually been on Craigslist since WAY before my motor took a dump. Remembered them and decided to give the guy a call. Seems like a nice guy. Claims they are rebuilt, ported and polished, new valve seals. If so, then it's a SCORE at $300 for the set plus core. We'll see what happens. I should have the money for the heads by this Wednesday, then I need to order a carb-to-TBI adapter (cheap, $50) then the work begins.

At this point, if everything goes as planned, she could be back on the road by next week, cammed and tuned the following week. Then after that, shorty headers and aftermarket Y-pipe to really clear her throat (lol).

Which brings me to a question or two.
1. Will I be able to use my TBI center bolt valve covers?
2. Should I pick up a new set of head bolts, or just re-use the TBI head bolts?
3. Is the ground strap that goes from the passenger head to the frame really necessary? I broke it when pulling the head. Not a problem, I can order a set from Mean Green and use a junkyard strap temporarily.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes you need new head bolts, they are a one time use torque to yeild bolt. They might not torque correctly an cost you a head gasket if you reuse them....

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Whoa, good to know! Thanks, Paul. Trying to do everything right the first time. Pulling the motor apart was the biggest PITA ever. Not too bad, now that I think about it, though.

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
TBI head bolts are okay to use and are not torque to yield.

Vortec head bolts need to be replaced and are torque to yield.

I still would replace them though.

Valve covers are the exact same.

Sent from my Igloo

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Got a new toy in the mail, boys!

You must be registered for see images attach

Tons of auxiliary coolant passages.

The bores are pretty huge! Thinking I may go with a 454 throttle body and 2" bore adapter later on.

A bit taller than I expected, may have to get a shorter air cleaner. Orrrrrr gives me an excuse to go with a cowl hood :secret:.

Just need to figure out a way to re-route the brake booster vacuum line to the opposite side of the intake. Any ideas, guys?