My 96 k1500 centurion crew cab

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Just picked some random build threads to read, glad to see your truck getting some love and that is an awesome story! Would love to have one of those CCSB 1500's!

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man! Working on fixing the sagging cab mounts now, passenger side is fixed now, drivers side here soon. Got the death wobble now tho so front end work is going to the top of the list before body work now.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Been working a lot lately between my normal job and cutting/selling firewood, so haven't made much headway on the truck, but today a big problem came up. Early this year I got a crack in one of the plastic tanks on my radiator, and I repaired it with jb weld with intentions of getting a new one soon after, but never did. I was hauling a load of wood last week and I got the smell of antifreeze and the truck started to warm up so I pulled over and my jb weld fix had blown out, so I topped it off and drove home (never actually over heated) and went to the bone yard to get a used one. (I was wanting to wait to buy a aluminum tank one at tax time) put it in and ran it for a day and the truck forced a ton of water into the resivoir tank, got hot, and then the radiator cracked in the same spot as the last one, all at once... So I went to the parts store and bought a new one, put it in and that's where got bad. I've got bubbling coolant in the radiator, it's building up pressure (I'm guessing that's why the patch on my old one blew) and the starts burning the coolant. Now this all says head gasket to me except I'm getting steam out of both pipes (I have true duals) and that to me says intake. I'm not sure if a intake gasket can cause the bubbling and im not finding much searching so I may move this to the engines section but regardless I'm doing a compression test tomorrow before I start tearing it apart.

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Turned out I had cracks in both heads, replaced the entire cooling system, and a set of good used heads and she's back on the road. Still looking for a nv4500 for it as well, and I wasn't sure on the route I wanted to go with the rest of truck until recently when I discovered another crack in the frame . I don't know what the previous owner did to this thing but damn. Ile try to get pics soon but it has a crack behind the drivers front wheel, the back of the lower section of frame under the back passenger seat, and the frame horns are both bent all to hell. I need a bigger truck anyway so I will get a new frame in the spring. There's a local salvage yard that will sell whole chassis near me so a 3500 frame it is. A lot of work but I refuse to sell the truck and really it'll be easier to swap the cab engine and other parts then fix this mess, and I need a bigger truck anyway.

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've been all over the place with this truck lately, trying to decide what I really want to do with it. I fixed my body lines finally, and I'm keeping this frame and am going to repair it (I have body shop friends lol) At least when I'm done fixing everything I will have some experience in frame work. I am very disappointed in the construction of the cabs on these centurion trucks. Damn near every one I've seen has sagged and I have yet to see a factory crew Chevy cab sag like this that wasn't a total rust bucket (I know it's a issue with some single cabs). I am currently looking for another (factory 2500/3500) cab.Me an a couple friends are going to a few large junkyards in Indy to see if they have any, as well as another transmission and some other parts for a few other projects.
I finally got my motivation back to work on this truck after reading the build thread on blackcoffees scsb from a few years back. I want to paint it the grey that his was, but I don't want to waste paint on this ty cab. That truck is everything I've ever wanted mine to be and I don't know how I never seen that thread before now!

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432120484.936243.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1432120484.936243.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 24

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really have no idea how I haven't seen it before

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

I just home mine can turn out half as nice as that!

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And I am ordering a set of different wheels in a couple weeks. These ugly ass wheels have got to go haha. I think I'm going with cragar soft 8s but I'm not sure what backspacing I need to look right, I don't want stock, I like the offset of these wheels and I
Was told but haven't verified yet that you can't get anything but stock backspacing on a 16" soft 8.

JDSmittyman

Reaction score
Sweet truck man! I think the best part of it all is that you actually found your truck years later. Keep up the good work!

96-1500-crew

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks! Sometimes I wonder if it was a good or bad thing that I found it again LOL