My 88 rcsb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
I'll give Moser a call today and see how much they want.

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with Moser and as I thought they don't make anything for the SS rear. He said the axle diameter is specific to the SS truck only which was only made for a few years. They also said it had a specific size C clips to match as well.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Is that a Gov-lock posi unit in there? I thought that the 14B 454SS rear ends had Eaton style posi's. But then, I've never had the opportunity to dig into one.
Good score, though. Think those are rare south of the border? Try finding one up here! Practically non-existent!

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
The ones from summit I posted are for the 454ss truck.. huh that's kinda weird..

I saw the description on the left but it said for a 8.5 10 bolt rear. I also called Superior and it was a no go for them as well, but he recomended Dutchman. Called and spoke to Kevin over there and he said it all has to do with the bearing journal size. The 454ss axles are larger. He asked me to check the size and get back to him, if they are the 1.620 he can make them but if they are the 1.705 it's a no go for them as well.

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
Is that a Gov-lock posi unit in there? I thought that the 14B 454SS rear ends had Eaton style posi's. But then, I've never had the opportunity to dig into one.
Good score, though. Think those are rare south of the border? Try finding one up here! Practically non-existent!

It is a Gov Lock and most of the guys on the 454ss.com site say it works ok for stock horsepower but most over there go to the Eaton posi unit.

Thanks, I found it on C-list and watched it for a few weeks and when the priced dropped I offered him $300 and he took it!

stroker52

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok I see now.. I knew the axles was somewhat bigger but didn't know no one is making a axle anymore..

Hell just throw a 9 inch under there and call it a day lol.. or find a chevy caprice rear end like I'm doing.. there 3 inches narrower over the truck..

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
Ok I see now.. I knew the axles was somewhat bigger but didn't know no one is making a axle anymore..

Hell just throw a 9 inch under there and call it a day lol.. or find a chevy caprice rear end like I'm doing.. there 3 inches narrower over the truck..

I might just paint her up, put the repair bearings in and sell it for a profit. I'm searching for a machine shop that can replate and turn them down to specs, I guy on the 454ss forum said he had it done to his axles, but after all of that trouble and expense I could spend that money else where

jmig

Can't leave it stock
Reaction score
I think I might have found a solution, a member on the GMFS forum suggested spray welding the area and have it turned back to factory specs. I did a little research this morning and it is used more on heavy equipment with excellent results. I tried calling today but they were closed.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach