my 88 messed up again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm gonna have to check it but for the grease, no it came already installed I had to replace the entire dist.

As for wreckers or junkyards, there is NONE near me.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well more info, and answer me this if the ign. mod. was bad would it have spark?

I've got spark, just fine, but no injector spray or even drips, dump gas in the tbi and it'll fire and run a sec or two.

Now here's the new thing again, last time this happened my batt. gaugwe was reading bottomed out, I probed around the wire plugin on the alt. and it started reading up to around 14 or so again and has been fine, it again is reading bottomed out barey comes up while cranking.

The battery is good, connections are tight, but the weird part is when you turn the key over and barely push it forward, not enough to crank, but any further and it would crank, the temp. gauge pegs past overheated, and the check gauges light comes on. I never saw that before, and my temp. gauge wire aint even hooked up, I got mech. gauges for oil and water temp.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well more info, and answer me this if the ign. mod. was bad would it have spark?

I've got spark, just fine, but no injector spray or even drips, dump gas in the tbi and it'll fire and run a sec or two.

Now here's the new thing again, last time this happened my batt. gaugwe was reading bottomed out, I probed around the wire plugin on the alt. and it started reading up to around 14 or so again and has been fine, it again is reading bottomed out barey comes up while cranking.

The battery is good, connections are tight, but the weird part is when you turn the key over and barely push it forward, not enough to crank, but any further and it would crank, the temp. gauge pegs past overheated, and the check gauges light comes on. I never saw that before, and my temp. gauge wire aint even hooked up, I got mech. gauges for oil and water temp.

No there will be no spark if the icm were bad.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
exactly what I thought, well i got spark for sure so now I'm kinda lost, but seriously thinking I need to get in behind my dash and check it out.

chevy_man

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I would still grab an ignition module and swap it out. Never hurts to have a spare if that isn't the issue. And don't use dielectric grease, use heat-sink compound.

Never hurts to try another computer either, I've had one go bad on me before when the alt. failed and spiked it. I always carry a spare in the toolbox also.

Have you checked the injector wiring and all your fuses? Could be as simple as the inj. fuse failed and they're just not getting power.

Wwildman

Reaction score
There are 2 things the pick up coil in the distributor does it also fires the injectors .I end up changing the distributor I have fought with this on several occasions .whit many different trucks

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
truck started working again, last thing I checked was fuses so maybe one was loose, none were blown, all fusible links were fine, but my alt. hand is still pegged to nothing, and the temp goes to overheated when you bump the key over before it cranks, and says check gauges. now my battery is dead because of trying to start it and running without alt. charging, so I have no idea. Honestly I know I have to fix the alt. charging problem, but I think I'm going to go back to carb and be done with efi

Wwildman

Reaction score
I would not give up on the fuel injection totally . TBI is the most simple system out there . The biggest thing you have o remember when working on any computer controlled vehicle is that it has to have good grounds and proper voltage for it to run correctly . With the alt pegged and the temp gauge reading hot I would suspect a ground Issue . There is a grounds on the T-stat housing and on on the back of the block make sure they are clean and tight . I would also check the out put of the alt at the positive post of the battery and alt to make sure the main power lead is not broken . If you need more info then that let me know

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
grounds are good, checked them over and over. as for the alt. lead not sure, gonna have to wait until next weekend most likely.

The charging issues HAS to be fixed, throwing a carb setup on it aint gonna help the charging crap at all, but if this efi keeps messing up and I can't depend on the truck, it's gonna get a carb setup.