Made my own ignition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sirtubblord

Reaction score
Good Morning,
My buddy bought a 93 GMT400 that had previously been stolen. For a while he just crammed a screw driver into the vacant ignition and started it that way but that didn't last very long. It's a pos and he doesn't have a lot of money so I figured I'd help him out. I found the power and starter wires as well as the additional power wires for the heater, which apparently need to be operational. I wired the two hot wires to toggles, and then the starter wire to a push button. The thing starts up just as it should but now is running poorly. It feels like a clogged fuel filter as when it shifts it wants to lug out, and there is hardly any power. Being that it is old and has been sitting it could be a number of things but it seems too coincidental that this happens the minute I rewire it. He drove it to my house with no problems. Of course I messed with all the other harnesses before I found the two I needed. So, my question is, anyone ever have a similar thing happen? Is there maybe a wire that controls injectors or something that I don't know about? Is there a wire to check for engine performance? I'm at a loss here and just trying to help a buddy out. Thanks

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What is the fuel pressure?

How old are the usual "tune-up" items--distributor cap and rotor, plug wires, spark plugs? Base timing verified? Timing advance working? MIL lit-up?

Is the computer properly powered? Or is it controlling the injectors and ignition and such as if it's had a lobotomy? Connect a scan tool, verify ALL the sensors and computer outputs.