my 88 messed up again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep out of nowhere, was running fine, my dad went to take it out tonight, started and shut off imediately, then did the same, now just cranks. My battery light is on, not sure if it was before or not, no codes, fuel pump you can hear but nothing from the injectors. I had this happen before and it started working on it's own. Last time I had this issue I checked for fuel to the tbi and it got it good, and shot it from behind the fuel filter when the filter was removed, turned it on shot out th eline about 3 feet.

Seems to be doing the same thing, haven't checked yet, I could probably dump gas in it and it fire up, but won't stay running.

I have to check it out, any ideas? I'm gonna check for spark and fuel and check the FP fuse and such, but would a relay do this? work then stop, then work, and stop again out of the blue?

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
Sounds like your ignition module has bit the dust, it gives the command to fire the injectors(injector pulse).....autozone can test them...

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
best not be the ign. module it's a brand new dist. in it all new only a year or so old, same as the filter, and probably not even 500 miles on them.

but honestly I don't care what it is, as long as I can have it tested or I test it(something other then ign. mod.) and change that part and fix it.

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
just because it's new(ish) doesn't mean it wont go bad, i've seen several aftermarket parts go bad within months, especially electronic parts...Aftermarket parts nowadays are for the most part, JUNK...imo, you're better off getting a used oem module out of a junker, vs. a chain autoparts store unit...

Swaggerwagon

¯\(°_o)/¯
Reaction score
Besides that...the ignition module is the one TBI part that you should carry a spare with you at all times...due to it's ability to leave you flat out stranded when it does fail...I personally keep spares of every single sensor on these motors with me at all times, including a spare coil, and ignition module...

93 K1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you put the Dielectric grease on???? If not - will burn the module out as soon as it gets to hot- if you dont put enough on same result just last longer????

FastOrange

OBSless
Reaction score
hmmm, module, i can almost bet, i replaced a dizzy in my truck and also in my dads old 1995, within 6 months, both had the brand spanking new modules fry. replaced with GM/ACDelco ones from autowrekcers, and they are still working.

goto the wreckers and get a real AC/Delco one from 1988-1995, should work

freightshaker203

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine did that onfew it ended up being the button inside the cap that makes contact with the rotor. Switched out the cap and fired right up

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah I agree, I have seen the aftermarket ignition modules quit in a couple of month's even when heat sink comound is used, AC delco FTW!