My 6.0 in a 1999 swap thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kawikid

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you leave the stock 10 bolt in? Also could you use the NBS cluster gauge with this? Why didn't you go for the 4l80E? Is it just because you didn't want to mess with the tranny crossmember? Ive checked on FLT and it does not say what they can handle HP wise. I want to be at the 500 RWHP will the built 4l65E handle that, do you know of any other people that have done the 4l65e swap alot or do they stick with the 4l80e?

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
i am in awe mike.. i love it!! i may be in the market for another z71 sometime this summer for a little project like this!!!!

where did you get the tranny built at?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you leave the stock 10 bolt in? Also could you use the NBS cluster gauge with this? Why didn't you go for the 4l80E? Is it just because you didn't want to mess with the tranny crossmember? Ive checked on FLT and it does not say what they can handle HP wise. I want to be at the 500 RWHP will the built 4l65E handle that, do you know of any other people that have done the 4l65e swap alot or do they stick with the 4l80e?
Yes the stock 10 bolt is still in there and a freshly rebuilt one will take its place very soon.

I have seen the NBS cluster used however it would have been much more work than I was looking for.

Didn't go 4l80e because I didn't want to worry about converting anything else. There is a good article I posted in the transmission section on how to convert.

The 4l65e I have supposedly will handle the power/weight of my setup. They wont post horsepower ratings because vehicle weight and how they are driven/maintained really affects the equation.

500 RWHP is a serious motor, mine is only making about 400 horse and 550 ft lbs at the wheels. So if you have a 650+ horse (at the crank) motor you should probably start with the 4l80. But a mild 6.0 is not that powerful.

i am in awe mike.. i love it!! i may be in the market for another z71 sometime this summer for a little project like this!!!!
sorry for the questions... but is this the harness you bought for it?? http://www.shopatron.com/products/productdetail/part_number=60217/302.0
Thank you, definitely give it a whirl its very fun.
I got my harness from Street and Performance. http://www.hotrodlane.cc

can i use my factory 4l60e with a 6.0?

possibly bolting on a new bell housing like this? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2001...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item3ef68c627c
You can use your stock transmission you do not need a different bellhousing.

all in all, thats pretty cheap for a full built tranny.... me likey
The tranny was the most expensive part of the truck, about 5 grand including converter.

Kawikid

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How come you didn't do a Efan swap? Do you know what year motor your 6.0 is? Is there any years I should stay away from when I am looking for my 6.0?

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks man, its worth the effort and I'll walk you through the wiring as best as I can.

Just call them and tell them what you need, dont even worry about the website.

Efan swap was an additional 500+ and I actually don't even really need it that bad because with my low temp t stat I almost never go over about 160.

My 6.0 is a 2001 so it has a slightly different length crank and I needed to take that into account for the custom torque converter.

No years to specifically avoid, just know that in like 04 they switched to electronic throttle so you'll need the electric pedal etc, mine is still cable throttle.