My 6.0 in a 1999 swap thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97sierra5.0

Reaction score
I would love to read a full write-up of everything involved with making this swap work. speedometer, electronics and all.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I considered it and can still elaborate on certain parts, yet I feel that once you are doing it everything is pretty brainless.

blackpearl

Reaction score
Mike,
I'm about to put an 8.1L/4l85e combo in my 97 K1500...I was curious about a couple of things. How exactly did you get all of your gauges to work with a standalone harness? My biggest concern is gauges...I want everything to work as stock. Did you run the computer for the 6.0 or did you do an 0411 swap? If I can get away with a standalone harness and the computer for my 04 8.1l i'd like to go that route. Maybe I'll PM you :)

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey sorry I haven't been around too much during the holidays. My harness had a tach and speedo output so I found the wires they went to in the dash and spliced them. I had to adjust the computer with efi live to get the tach output to be correct (it was 50% off before adjusting it)

The oil pressure and coolant sensors I used were the ones that went in the stock 350 so those worked fine. My gas gauge isn't reading at all so I still have to find where I screwed that up.

I used the stock 6.0 computer. You should have no trouble.

Good luck with your swap and definitely keep us informed!

alger388

Reaction score
Mike your are awsome man. Some wheels and tires and the only thing i dislike is the "ricer" items you added but the truck is sick none the less. What happened to the trans you pulled from the truck? Ive been wanting to do a motor swap bad on my truck, i have a 305 vortec and it doesnt move on the higway.

Do you think my trans would be alright if i did a cooler, servos, shift kit? it has a 135,***

I want to either put in a 5.3 low mileage or a 6.0 and do springs and cam in whatever one i decide. I want to know if i can get by with stock trans and converter, get the $250 headers, jegs $75 mounts, i have a harness from a tahoe and the 411 PCM i could send to get reworked for $450 if remember seeing on forums. Trying to get it done realitively cheap. What are your opinions seeing you have gone through it. I guess i could live without A/C for awhile its scsb cheyenne.

I was also going to ask in the future, your from mass im not sure where, im familiar with springfield, westfield area but if you would consider helping a newbie do a swap in the future.

I learned alot more in this one thread then trying to look over at all the splotchy topics covered on the other forums

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alger thanks man! I returned the stock tranny as a core to finish line trans. With a cooler you'll be good for a little while but you will burn out your clutches quickly. Just run it until you need to replace it.

I'm glad you learned a lot here and I can definitely help along the way.

I would say if you have the money to do it right that a LS swap is totally worth it, the motors are quite stronger than the earlier ones. I am not sure if you have driven a 5.3 or 6.0 yet but they move.

I'm in central mass now and could help you do the swap or I could do the project in my shop in a very short time if you got all the parts together and felt like paying for a bit of labor. We could even work out your harness as well. The ac swap was expensive, something like $750 for all the parts but you dont need it in mass.

Thanks draggin95!

xlcooplx

Reaction score
so tharf, with the stand alone harness, does it control only the engine or does this harness control the trans as well? i know many leave the OBS computer in when doing the swap as well...if it is retained, what exactly is it controlling? ABS? Also, what controls the autotrac in these trucks? I've been contemplating a 5.3 swap in an OBS truck to DD. I'm just trying to work things out in my head about the wiring harnesses.

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The harness does hook to the tranny as well, its manages everything you need to run and drive with basic instrumentation. I don't think my stock ECM is doing anything at the moment because the speed sensor signal wasnt strong enough to send to both ems so the abs is not working. But the ABS on these trucks is awful and I'm glad its not enabled.

I don't know how you would swap an autotrack truck, you will have to do some figuring on that one.