My 1997 Chevy Z71 "Black Betty" Build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Another update!

Muffler is on and sounds excellent! Still loud enough for my satisfaction and has removed a lot of cab drone and cackle.

Bumper brackets on! Just need to play with the alignment a little because I couldn't get my bumper filler to fit right but it was also dark when I attempted to put it in, an improvement non-the less!

Been having transmission issues for a while now, tried some tests today and have ruled out the idea of slippage in overdrive, rather it is the torque converter lock that is damaged. Ordered a new converter through the parts store tonight. Stock converter is about 1400 stall, new one is the S10 converter with 1800 stall! Should make a big difference! Learned about the swap from FSC.... Came across it by accident on google lol

http://www.fullsizechevy.com/forum/...0-torque-converter-installed-5-7-4l60e-6.html

Sent from my powered iPhone

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
She's alive!!

You must be registered for see images

Transmission got rebuilt and so far has just over 500 miles with no issues, there was one issue when it was first rebuilt, front pump was damaged in removal cause we left the TC on the flywheel while we removed the trans.

Shifts so smooth with the vette servo and s10 TC, rebuild kit was a TCI master overhaul racing kit, had different sheets/papers that went on the valve body.

Me and squeaky3's trucks this past weekend
You must be registered for see images attach

BowtieBrody

Jesus Murphy!
Reaction score
Looks awesome!
I wish I had time to do mods to my trans; it's leaking like a damn sieve out of the T-case fill plug.

Interesting on the S10 converter; doesn't someone else on here have one? Slowburb I think?

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Looks awesome!
I wish I had time to do mods to my trans; it's leaking like a damn sieve out of the T-case fill plug.

Interesting on the S10 converter; doesn't someone else on here have one? Slowburb I think?

Trailblazer 4.2 converters stall even higher.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Are those a direct bolt in too?
I need to do a ton of research on all of this; but I reckon I need to get my truck to stop leaking like a submarine with a screendoor first.

If you're looking for a higher stall 90-94 corvette TC's are another good choice, it's about 2500 stall. S10 is 1800 or 2000 stall.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Looks awesome!

Yup, I have one too. It's between my built L31 and built 4L60E. It is a lot "looser" than the stock converter. The first tell is that the truck doesn't pull through the brakes while stopped in gear, and when I let off the brake in gear, the truck doesn't creep forward. Then when I stab the throttle the tach climbs way higher before the truck starts moving.

MDR-97-Z71

400 Obsessor
Reaction score
Well Currently I've done nothing new but moneys been tight because I was going to school... Until that changed, so now I'm in a new job and trying to decide what I wanna do next! Once I have the money there will be big changes!!

Here some recent pics of activities

Homemade mud bog at squeaky3's place lol

m

Rolled a jeep that night.... Lol

Killed a motor the next day..

You must be registered for see images attach

Squeaky's new blue truck

Went to the 4x4 jamboree in Indy! Awesome time!!

Putting the truck to work so far at the new job

From this past weekend, the pit looked so dry after weeks of not touching it... It really wasn't..

So instead me and some buddies did donuts in the rain in some empty yard space lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk