MsChevy's 1997 Chevy Silverado ECSB aka Big Blue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
There are 2 bolts per headlight to take out the headlights. They're accessible from the top without taking apart the entire front end. They screw into inserts embedded in the bracket and if the inserts break loose, you then have to take the grille apart to get to the bulbs(and replace the bracket if you want to correct the problem).

They're those long screws sticking up I can see them in your pic of the front end without the grille.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
There are 2 bolts per headlight to take out the headlights. They're accessible from the top without taking apart the entire front end. They screw into inserts embedded in the bracket and if the inserts break loose, you then have to take the grille apart to get to the bulbs(and replace the bracket if you want to correct the problem).

They're those long screws sticking up I can see them in your pic of the front end without the grille.

Aha! I thought there had to be an easier way to change the bulbs, the whole "take apart the whole vehicle to change a bulb" is a typical european car thing, US cars/trucks are usually very easy to work with. Thanks for the info!

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
...the whole "take apart the whole vehicle to change a bulb" is a typical european car thing, US cars/trucks are usually very easy to work with.

Any US truck is usually simple to change a bulb in now-a-days. Good luck changing one out in a car or SUV as easily. I got 3hrs of labor for a fog light bulb on an '06 Cadillac SRX Fender well liner, half of the bumper, tire, and other stuff I'm forgetting had to come out... just for a bulb.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Another long weekend, but now she finally has a colormatched front! Not bad for someone who has never done bodywork or paint before, I'm very happy with it!
I ran out of time (I had a migrane on thursday leaving me with a nasty headache the whole weekend) so valance and tow hooks aren't finished yet, they'll be painted either black or black metallic (so will rearview mirrors and the cowl vent thing eventually). Also the passengerside door and tailgate banner is ready for paint.

Oh, and that fugly blackish thing on the hood is going away at any cost! Another "great" solution to a problem courtesy of the PO.

She needs a bath, badly! And I can't wait to get my new headlights, them orange corners are awful!
You must be registered for see images attach

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Last week I asked my friend for a price on a couple of things, I got a really good deal if we took shipping by boat but that wouldn't be until end of summer/early autumn (mid august), shipping by air would be an extra $240 and I would have my things the following week. I'm not willing to pay an extra $240 just to get the stuff earlier so I said OK on boat shipping.

This weekend I noticed all fasteners on both passengerside corners and taillight housings where broken and the PO had also decided to glue in the front turnsignal bulbs and park/pos bulbs in their holders rather then replace them when they got worn, one had to be replaced right away so I went to pick one up, $18 for the exact same thing (same brand, same part#) that cost $6.97 at Summit... I need 3 more, no way in hell I'm paying that!
(Not that I'm that kind of person who needs to save a few bucks on everything I buy but I will not buy something that is ridiculously overpriced. Another great example being the roll pan, at Summit its about $100 and here it's $360 (again same brand, same part#), buying it thru my friend from Summit is close to what Summit sells it for plus 25% taxes.)

Anyways, so things went from "I can wait, it's not like things are falling apart" to "I'm seriously using tape from my office to keep things from falling off the truck when I'm driving...? No, just NO!" pretty fast so now I can't wait, I talked to my friend again to see if headlights and taillights was considerd big when it comes to shipping by air, he said I'd get the same price as boat shipping which totally made my day!

This means new headlights, taillights, 3 bulb holders and a fold down/up plate holder for the rear plate should arrive some time next week or early the week after, WOOHOO! The roll pan and grille insert are to expensive to ship by air so they'll have to wait until mid august, I'll probably come up with more things to buy before then anyways...

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
I was supposed to get my new headlights and taillights last week but the shipping company or the customs here are dead slow (apparently the entire country is on vacation...) but I had a few other things to fix over the weekend.

First the stereo, I'm not sure what's going on but it won't work. I thought the old one broke cos it used to work and all of a sudden it didn't, so I bought a new one. After removing the PO's mess, replacing the headunit, checking the 3 fuses and last checking the wires for damage, it's still not working! I know the HU gets power cos everytime I start the truck the stereo beeps, but the display is dark and nothing works. Any ideas? The only thing I can think of is the wire from the start button to the HU, it got a little squished but it doesn't look damaged and like I said the stereo does beep... I'm confused.

Before, the PO's mess.

After, from original GM to ISO. The PO threw away the GM connector... The blue and blue/white wires are for amp and power antenna.

Found a couple of wires that I don't know what they are for, they come up in the same harness as the stereo but can't find anything they could connect to, any ideas?
Wires are gray, yellow, purple/white, green and green/white.

Second thing was the valance, I painted it black for now... but I'm not sure if I want to keep it that way, maybe I should paint it blue?
I also did my own front tag mounting "bracket". I don't like the OE one (it's too big and chunky) or it's location and I don't have any holes in my bumper anymore and the fact that our US plates are lower than a real US plate leaving 1.5" of bracket showing.

How the plate will sit on the "bracket", mounted with 3M doublesided tape.

Painted, the side the plate will be mounted to.

Mounted between the bumper and valance using an existing hole. Can easily be removed without leaving a mark or extra holes.

You can't even see it's there.

Went by the lake on the way home, unfortunately the natural light at 9.30pm isn't the best when taking pics with an iPhone... But you can see how the new licenseplate mounting turned out, I like it.