Mark8 electric fan install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well that was easy.

I used this fan controller -
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C39C72/ref=oss_product

I used this diagram, substituting my fan controller for the 0411 PCM, and I eliminated the high speed relay, and I have the added on low speed relay wired to activate from the fan controller, which is either activated by temperature or the a/c clutch. I used this add-on relay because in testing the fan controller's power lead to the fan was a 25amp fuse, and would blow whenever the fan turned on. So I have a 40amp relay which is basically turned on by the fan controller.

On to some pics-

You must be registered for see images attach

fits in the stock shroud with just some minor trimming, I used 4 x self tapping screws to secure the fan to the shroud.

temperature probe for the fan controller installed into the passenger side head

tapped into the switched ignition lead to activate the fan controller so it won't run when the truck is off

was kinda lazy wiring up the fan, plenty of clearance for everything though.

fit's like it was made to be there, ftw

washed up the engine bay after I was done, as some coolant spilled while I swapped in the temp probe and was then bleeding the system while dialing in the temp adjustment.

figured I'd take a couple decent pictures of it since all my previous pics have been with the iphail

retrofit projector HID lights ftw...kinda...they aren't the brightest in the world but the cutoff line is pretty good.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll try to take some pics and start on new thread on it, basically I used projectors and ballasts out of a car in the junkyard and installed the projectors into the backs of the stock headlights. I'd like to re-do them with some lights that have clear lenses because the fluted lens on the stock lights is throwing some scatter, cutoff line is pretty obvious though.

Marcos

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks good, did mine a little different using a 75 amp relay on the hi side of the fan and used a summit racing temp switch turn on at 205 and off at 185.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Was the hole in the head there from the factory or did ya have to make it yourself??? Ive been thinking about this kinda mod for a while.

it's there factory on my vortec heads, right between 5/7 it should be a plug.

there's another hole between 2/4 on the drivers side head, but it has the ECT sensor installed in it so you would need a T-adapter to use that side.

I like these types of sensors a million times better than the ghetto radiator probes that most fan controllers use.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nice, I put mine inside the stock shroud as well.

I run mine controlled with the PCM. its probably my schematic that you altered. but I acutally used a couple 200A continuous duty solenoids to control the actual powerflow to the fans since I couldn't find any relays that were rated higher than like 30-40A. probably a little overkill but hey it works great and has been very reliable for quite some time now. and with all the power the mark 8 uses on startup I didn't want to take the chance with relay failures. then I control the high and low on and off points in the PCM with regards to engine temps, and A/C pressure, and speed, etc.

and that plug in the side head is a square plug, you'd think a regular 3/8 ratchet would fit in there and take it off, but for me it didn't, I needed a odd pipe plug bit to remove it, I want to say it was a 5/16 square pipe plug bit, the only place I could find it was at harbor freight oddly enough.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is the shroud really doing anything? Usually the shroud is they to surround the fan and cause the air to funnel and pull thru the entire rad, I could only see it pulling air where the fan is and the shroud basically doing nothing other then covering up the e fan.

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where did you get the fan from? and what did it cost you?

junkyard, $20...1993-1998 lincoln mark8, the aero style tbirds from the mid 90's have a very similar sized fan that works just as good, taurus's from the same gen also have 2 speed fans that have the same motor just slightly smaller fan blades.

is the shroud really doing anything? Usually the shroud is they to surround the fan and cause the air to funnel and pull thru the entire rad, I could only see it pulling air where the fan is and the shroud basically doing nothing other then covering up the e fan.

the factory fan shroud doesn't cover any of the e-fan, it works just like the factory clutch fan in that the factory shroud covers the core of the radiator from edge to edge and the e-fan pulls air through the radiator and blows it out towards the engine.

the fan runs very little btw, anything over 30-40mph and it will never kick on, I only hear it trip on when tooling around in a parking lot looking for a spot.