Manual locks and windows to power conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1500SS

^ Money pit
Reaction score
Well, finally got to the scrapyard, and it doesn't look promising...

Here's my convenience center, in the truck now. Note the lack of pins in all the connector slots...
You must be registered for see images attach

And here's where it connects through the back, underhood. Does anyone know if this comes apart easily for inspection? Also ignore the black and red wires tied to the factory loom, those are for my fog lights...

Here's the plugs on the main harness that runs under the dash, for locks & windows. It is out of a 1990 regular cab Chevy Silverado.

And the convenience center from the same truck:

And the backside. Here's where I'm stressing- this pulled straight out and I had to cut most of the wires from the ignition harness. Has anyone ever swapped one of these? 88GMCTruck? I just don't want to cut apart my ignition wires and destroy the truck and not be able to connect it anyhow.

And finally, this connector was in a plastic loop on top of the convenience center. I don't have one in my truck, does anyone know what it's for? It has 4 wires coming out: light blue, dark blue, brown and yellow.

Sorry BHBurban, I'm not trying to thread jack, I'm just hoping someone with a little more experience will know something I don't. I want to get this connected as factory as possible, but I will not be pulling my dash out (what a nightmare).

1500SS

^ Money pit
Reaction score
Man that sucks, I started thinking last night and figured since the GMC Sierra is the "higher package" truck that the pins would be there even if it didn't have power factory components. I am stuck in a rut here, I was thinking of going to the dealership to have them install the other convenience center but for one I doubt they'd do it, and for two if they did it'd probably cost more than I've already spent on the harnesses, switches, switch trim plates and red power door panels, plus the actuators and regulators I'm gonna get... :/ This is rough, the swap would be relatively easy if it wasn't for this hangup.

88GMC, could you look in the service manual for anything to do with the convenience center wiring? i checked my Haynes guide but of course no luck. Thanks!

Last edited:

1500SS

^ Money pit
Reaction score
That's fine, thanks man. I had an idea; instead of trying to replace the entire convenience center, what if I disassemble the new one, pull the pins/wires for the connectors I need (brown, white, orange) and put them in my convenience center without having to solder/connect like 40 wires? I'd just need to connect the 3. Does anyone think that'd work?

Charby

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i have a couple questions,, im doing this swap verry shortley, i took the harness out of my parts truck but it does not conect to the convenience center theres 3 plugs behind the dash 2 yellow and 1 black, will my truck have this plug in there allready wateing for me? ( i highley dought it) i think i am going to have to open up the harness and re-wrap it because the airbag module was hooked to it to

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Hey,
im new to this site, and the reason im here is because im doing the exact same thing to my truck. i got a 1990 Chevrolet Sport edition, but its only the cheyenne edition. Therefor, it does not have power windows and locks. I took out the harness from my parts truck, 1990 Chevy ctruck as well, but i cant seem to find the releys, Where are they? i see BHBurban say something about positive trigger lock, and unlock and reverse polarity, what is that? does that mean 1990's DO NOT have reley and i can run these power windows and locks without them ?

sorry all the questions...
hopefully you guys can help

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
Alright, seems to be hard to find answers out of this, but ill try again lol, does any one know what is the difference between, 88-89 power windows and locks switches and 90-93 switchs, (there both scared but it says they dont work? try or false? any one try it ?

eric.s.t

Stroked
Reaction score
ohh, thats odd, i mean i understand the shape being different, but even the LMC site shows that 88-89 are different as the 90-94, but there again, they are all scare? could it be just a simple thing like , the buttons being black in 88-89 and grey in 90-94 ? and btw, i do know that some trucks were offered with the round buttons, im just puzzled lol