Manual locks and windows to power conversion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
My '94 Suburban was not originally equipped with power windows, or locks. It was a cheyenne model. I used all (mostly) the OEM parts to do this conversion. I could have gone aftermaket, but I like OE. Since it is basically plug and play, I'll hit the highlights, and show what's involved with getting the components and wiring into an Suburban/crewcab.

To install the factory window/lock harness, the dash has to come out so,
You must be registered for see images attach

The factory GM harness. This is a '95 harness. '95 and up uses positive trigger lock, and unlock. 88-94's are reverse polarity system with no relay.

The harness runs across the firewall, at the base of the windshield.I have heard of some doing this conversion without removing the dash, and running the harness with the main dash harness.

...And runs down into the a pillar cavity.

The lock relay clips into a hole on the right of the column support.

The window relay clips on to the left side of the column support.

Left side harness plugs into door harness in the kick panel/A pillar.

And the right...

The harness plugs into the convienence center/junction block on the left side firewall. all terminals on it are marked "pnk" "wht" "gry" "blk" "grn" etc. and refer to the color of the connector ends, not the wire color. It took me a few tries to get them plugged into the correct switched/unswitched terminals, a multimeter, or power probe helps here.

For anyone attempting this, I reccomend plugging the components in at this point and testing functionality.

These are handy. If you do any glass/window regulator work, I reccomend getting some of these window holders.

Original manual door card, drill out the rivets holding the regulator to the inner door. Not fun!

stripped out...

I used these Electric life power convesion regulators in the ront. They bolt right into the factory holes. In this case, I spliced the electric life motor harness to the original harness.

The door lock actuators are mounted on the inner door behind the outside door handle (the mounting holes are already there). the post to connect the actuator to is on the lock rod of all trucks, even if it does not have power locks, this is the best way I could get a pic of it. These are tough to mount, access, and connect the harness to.

The power unit in the door.

On to the rear...
Harness clips into the B pillar.

The original rear setup.

To remove rear regulator, take out the 2 10mm bolts in the window guide,and separate it from the glass.
You must be registered for see images
[/IMG]
As with the front, drill out the factory rivets and remove manual regulator,

The rear uses different mounting holes for the power regulator, but they are punched out from the factory.

Here's the rear door lock actuator, again, right behind the outside door handle.

As viewed through the door handle hole.

Last edited:

SPSU55

Reaction score
Great instructions. I am getting ready to do this conversion on my truck (1995 regular cab). can you post a list of all the parts needed to do the swap?

1500SS

^ Money pit
Reaction score
Great writeup. I'm lookin at doing this in my 88 regular cab, I was wondering, where'd you get the harness from? I could probably try to get one from GM but every part I'm lookin for is always discontinued, and I scan ebay frequently, but I'm findin nothin.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I did a conversion as well long ago and got the parts on ebay. Took awhile to find them all. You honestly would have just as good of luck at a salvage yard.

Gregg, Very good write-up. I have read this thread before on FSC, and I would like to make not that my 88 did not have the post provision for the power lock actuator on the original lock rod. Another thing my truck didn't have was holes on the cab side of the door jamb where the wires pass through, just a center dimple. I had to drill them.

1500SS

^ Money pit
Reaction score
Interesting. I just went and looked at my convenience center, and I only have prongs for the blue and white connectors, along with the top 4... Any ideas on how to get this out? Probably going to have to take a trip to the salvage yard sometime soon to try and get one from a silverado. Damn first year production run changes...

BHBurban

GMT 1600
Reaction score
Here's how my harness is connected, as long as the wires get the right power sources, (ign,acc, battery) it doesn't matter where you connect them. you could even go directly to the battery for power, and to the steering column for acc/ign.

Last edited: