MAACO reviews??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthBoston

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys I need to paint my truck but have, lets just say insufficient funds, so I was considering MAACO. Anyone had a vehicle painted there and can give me an honest review??

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
all comes down to ya get what ya pay for. a buddy had a iroc done there, at 20 feet it looked nice. up close it was a hack job, nothing was taken apart, just taped off so there was tape lines and over spray every place. the lower body didnt have much coverage, it was rough to the touch like it wasnt wheeled out. looked better than it did, atleast it was all one color but if you ever plan on making it nice and doing it right later on you will be paying alot more because there will be much more labor involved such as stripping the entire thing and starting from scratch to get it smooth. so if your just makin a ok looking driver/work truck go for it, if you want it nice and expect a new looking truck that gets compliments keep saving for a pro job.

cochino12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Depends on the shop, they seem to put out different work. The Maaco where I live does a great job for the $$. I've taken several trucks to them and never been disapointed. That being said do your own prep and tear down because they wont do any for you. I wouldnt expect show quality work for what they charge either though haha

radical7

admitted truck *****
Reaction score
like stated above all maaco does is scuff the original and paint and clear over. they dont even remove emblems ur better off preping and doing all the bodywork urself get it in primer block it then take it to a good bodyshop to paint and clear it would be better than spending 1500 to 1800 for a painjob that will eventually peel or crack and most body shops or dealer ships will tell you its cheaper for u to do the bodywork and prime and block than have it set at their shop

1993GMCSierra

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here is the one thing you need to realize.

While MAACO is a franchise, their shops are individually owned. The owner sets the standards for who they hire.

I have personally seen a horrible "well, at least it's all the same color" paint job, and a Carlisle show winner paint job from MAACO shops 7 miles away from each other.

The only way to know for sure what you are getting is to ask to see cars they have finished up, check out their booths, and chat with the paint technicians if they are free.

MAACO can be very good, or utter sh*t. It depends on the package you go for, and the shop doing the job.

454ss

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
good points above if you do take it there, but the couple pro body guys i know wont paint an entire car if they dont do the prep work cause they dont want thier name on it when the job goes to hell in 6 months because of sub par prep work with materials that possibly are cheap quality or not compatible with thier stuff. non-expert prep = non expert final results, may look good initialy but not last, then when the customer tells everybody that so and so painted it thats not good publicity.

Devs93

OBS 4 EVA
Reaction score
usually the painters at Maaco arent too b bad at spraying....its the crappy prep work and cheap material the kill the final product...imo dont do it

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had my old rice ride sprayed there some time ago....I upgraded to the 5 year urethane single stage...It was only like $50 more. Upon dropping it off....I took out all of the parking lights...taillights....spoiler...anything I could unbolt....

Rules of thumb with a place like maaco....1st You have to realize that single stage paint will require a few more waxings a year but is very durable. With single stage you will also want to stay away from dark colors or reds. White is best in my opinion.

2nd..The less tape lines the better....as this will be the first place it will chip.

I had a good experience with my paint job with these things considered. Good luck!