LT1 OBD1 or OBD2? Vette build and mods thread.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
'84 Vette 383 stroker build and mods. OBD2 Conversion, and general BS.

Im starting this thread to keep clutter out of another thread.

My friend and I are concocting a 383 stroker bottom end, LT1 heads and Computer from a 94 harness and a 95 PCM/ECU going into an 84 Vette with the 700R4 Cable trans, basically were going to make the computer think its a manual, since the kickdown and all is mechanical... He refuses to go over to OBD2 on this motor due to cost of tuner and various other parts he would need... So my new question is, is there a replacement for an opti-spark that will give the computer the signals it needs from something like a vortec distributor, and Crank position sensor and cam sensor, or will the LT computer not work off of this?

This is going to be a sight to behold once we start to try to make things "work"...

Any insight would be appreciated.

Were going to have an OBD1 Tuner for the LT computer coming here soon so we will be able to adjust the computer to compensate for fuel, but we dont know exactly how were going to do the spark 100% yet, If we can make this ECU work off the vortec style distributor that would be the optimum route we want to take since we have nearly everything to run a 97 vortec in there minus the full wire harness....

Howard: Your saying with the JET DST you need a separate program to read codes and other stuff right? Are there any other down sides to it versus EFI Live? Both are full flash, no live update like you would get with a RoadRunner.

My situation, I dont have anything NEEDING to be tuned with my truck, My buddy is doing an LT1 Head and intake swap onto a 383 block like our 350 blocks, Currently we have the PCM from a '95 camaro (OBD1) with the LT1 tune and a '94 harness stripped down to what we need, Well thats the easy part... We are trying to find out if there is a way remotely possible to get rid of the opti-spark all together and run a Vortec style Crank and Cam sensor setup... We dont think this is possible with the OBD1 computer, but with either EFI Live or Jet DST, Im 99% sure we can do that with some time under the hood with a laptop and custom cooking up a flash that will work with the LT Intake and a Vortec distributor setup. He thinks going to OBD2 will be too costly, but I dont think he has quite grasped the concept of the fact that all it will add is a pair of O2 sensors and the 411 computer, and go in partially with me on the JET or EFI programmer.

My future plans could be doing the Marine intake, or going the LS route with a 6.0 drop in in the future.

The JET DST says it does support the little black box under my hood is why Im leaning toward it, plus the lower cost of the unit itself getting it off of ebay from JEGS ebay store...

Those were pulled strait from the other thread.

A little added info is on his vette forum
http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132820

Last edited:

Mike

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tuning LT style anything is a nightmare. I'll put money on that 383 not running properly ever under a LT computer.

Junkyard 5.3 IMO.

Or carb the 383.

Lextech

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A coworker and I just finished up his sons 95 OBD1 LT1 Camaro Opti-Spark to a 96 timing cover 4x reluctor OBD2 Opti-Spark delete with a modified intake and a Votrec distributor. I repinned and reworked the harness and it uses the 1220411 PCM. I like OBD2 The processor is faster and simpler to tune.

Jeff

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree, I would never do OBD1 on anything other than TBI or Carb. I wouldn't think twice about converting it to OBDII, eliminating the opti, and running a 24x setup (or a setup like Lextech mentioned, though if I were doing all that work I'd just get rid of the distributor all together, but thats just me). granted it costs more, but I don't feel OBDI is really modeled well enough for a true port injected setup. you just can't get the control that is needed.

I semi-agree with mike, I don't think he'll ever get it running absolutely right on the LT computer. a LSx swap is a good option, but I don't think I'd want to run a carb. I dislike carbs.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Its one of those oh ****, too late now, gotta keep going. the 24x is out of the question. If EFI Live came with 3-4 licenses we would have split the cost and gotten it aleady but the nearly $600 cost is a bit heavy on us right now... The JET DST was winning until I found out about its many shortcomings, TunerCats is only available with a Roadrunner as an additional cost... EFI Live Roadrunner is $200 plus the cost of a roadrunner... The cost of the OBD1 cable is only $80 from Moates, but theres no software like the EFI Live for OBD2 that I know of for OBD1 and it benefits me none...This project is a catch 22 if Ive seen it... He has the LT heads machined and ready to weld a 1/4" riser plate for the distributor to fit correctly. We have the '94 LT harness stripped down for our use already... It would be just a change of computers and then the cost of the tuner... but thats ~$600... then we still have to get this thing topped off and put into this car, which WONT be fun... We have had the Trans out and it was an all day/ all night project... Our lives would be so much easier with a two post car lift....

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Its one of those oh ****, too late now, gotta keep going. the 24x is out of the question. If EFI Live came with 3-4 licenses we would have split the cost and gotten it aleady but the nearly $600 cost is a bit heavy on us right now... The JET DST was winning until I found out about its many shortcomings, TunerCats is only available with a Roadrunner as an additional cost... EFI Live Roadrunner is $200 plus the cost of a roadrunner... The cost of the OBD1 cable is only $80 from Moates, but theres no software like the EFI Live for OBD2 that I know of for OBD1 and it benefits me none...This project is a catch 22 if Ive seen it... He has the LT heads machined and ready to weld a 1/4" riser plate for the distributor to fit correctly. We have the '94 LT harness stripped down for our use already... It would be just a change of computers and then the cost of the tuner... but thats ~$600... then we still have to get this thing topped off and put into this car, which WONT be fun... We have had the Trans out and it was an all day/ all night project... Our lives would be so much easier with a two post car lift....

if you do get TC with the roadrunner, depending on the price I may be interested in buying the roadrunner from you (if its the 512k roadrunner). TC is a good program, but still lacks any logging ability, you'll need a third party logging software for that. I understand the 24x may be out of the question, thats just the route I'd go if I were in his situation. the nice thing about TCII is that once you get the definition file for a specific setup, you have unlimited lisences for it, and there are alot of supported vehicles out there for it.

OBDI is fairly primitive. I don't think he'll be overly happy with it on a fairly custom setup like he has. but I'm highly pro-obdII.

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
A coworker and I just finished up his sons 95 OBD1 LT1 Camaro Opti-Spark to a 96 timing cover 4x reluctor OBD2 Opti-Spark delete with a modified intake and a Votrec distributor. I repinned and reworked the harness and it uses the 1220411 PCM. I like OBD2 The processor is faster and simpler to tune.

Jeff

Do you have the tune you used that you could send me from this one so I can play around with it and see what you did?

I think I nearly have him talked into going OBD2, just because of what we have to work with, and if I get an EFI Live tuner, the tools to do it with... I just need to get rid of some stuff to have the spare money for the tuner...

Lextech

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ya, I can send you a starter tune---No Problem. What trans are you running. Do you want it in EFILive or Tunercat.

Jeff

CodyB

Grease Monkey
Reaction score
Its looking ike its gonna be EFI Live, Right now I dont have the hardare, but I can look around with there demo and see the differences between that and some others. Im just looking around for options right now, I have 2 friends with separate projects, plus my own which isnt anything big right now, So Ill have to pick up EFI Live and an extra license, plus a 411 and a donor harness/ ecu plugs to put it on my truck...

I think you still have my email, but if not its

codybounds

at

gmail.com