OBD1 and O2 or Cat detection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pdude

Reaction score
Will a 1994 Chevy with OBD1 detect issues with O2 or a Cat? I read somewhere it didn't, but my CO detector goes crazy when my truck is in the garage with the CO detector close by as it goes to 240 PPM. Not sure it will pass smog in CA which I have to do soon. I have a DTC code for my ignition only (42) so maybe I will need to fix more that that to get it to pass.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will a 1994 Chevy with OBD1 detect issues with O2 or a Cat? I read somewhere it didn't, but my CO detector goes crazy when my truck is in the garage with the CO detector close by as it goes to 240 PPM. Not sure it will pass smog in CA which I have to do soon. I have a DTC code for my ignition only (42) so maybe I will need to fix more that that to get it to pass.
The reason OBD1 won't detect a issue with the cat is because the O2 sensor is upstream of it. It really doesn't even know or care if there is a cat or not.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
High CO is a symptom of a rich mixture.

How old is the O2 sensor--they get lazy with age, and often inaccurate also.

What is the fuel pressure?

Follow the service manual diagnostic procedure for the code.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
start with what you know has to be repaired.

42Ignition control module (ICM) – electronic spark timing (EST)/ignition control (IC)/bypass circuit malfunctionWiring open circuit/short circuit to ground, ICM, ECM