Obd2 rpm discrepancy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowstart

Reaction score
Thank you for the replies. This is so helpful to me. I am so unfamiliar with all of this its great to have real world information. I will try only monitoring one thing at a time and see if that makes any difference. But since these trucks normally act... normal haha, and im pretty sure my reader is fine, unless there is some strange compatibility issues, is this a sign of a bad vcm? (or whatever the brains of the truck are called). Also, would poor grounds or other conections imped comms with the reader? Maybe thats all it is. The truck was not put back together very well by the PO

Last edited:

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It more likely a compatibly with your reader and the older vehicle. You could use an " Autell " scanner that would hate your Honda, but work great on your truck. It's a handicap with scanners that don't have the high end brains. We even have one Snap On , Solus(?) at work that's a better wheel chock than scanner. Takes forever to read codes, is soooo sloooooow, at control functions. It's a race to not get stuck with it.

slowstart

Reaction score
Good to know. I will ask around and see if can find someone who has a reader and see if the same problem happens.

slowstart

Reaction score
So i was able to limit the live data to just the engine data and it updated instantly and was actualy live and the rpm data is correct. The rpm data is still way wrong from the other view however. But I cant seem to find where i can select the transmission only data. I can have everything (and it lags terribly) or i can select what i want to show, but it doesn't have the transmission sensors and stuff as an option. the screen where i can toggle them on or off, they are not even listed. so the only way i have found to get live data from the trans is to have everything pulled up. Speaking of the transmission. It is suddenly functioning perfectly. i haven't had a chance to drive a bunch but the past few days I have gone on a few 5-ish mile drives and had zero problems with the transmission. It shifts how and when it should. all the gears work, everything is perfect (knock on wood). Because this problem seems to be intermittent i am suspecting it is electrical in nature (probable a bad ground). Usually when it is mechanical it either works or it doesn't, right?