LT tire on one side, P on the other??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you remember my other thread I had a lot more tire wear on my right rear. Well looking at the tires today I finally realized the right rear is an LT265/75r16 and the other three are P265/75r16, dont know how i missed this. So wtf is it ok to run like this? Obviously the LT tire with load range E is heavier than the P tires.

You must be registered for see images attach

BeefStew42791

Reaction score
They SHOULD effectively be the same size tire as they both have the same dimensions. However, you MAY find that the p's shorten up a bit because they tend to have slightly weaker sidewalls, but it's not enough to worry about any axle or diff damage/accelerated wear. IMO the Light Truck tires are better for anybody who put's their truck through its paces because whenever I've heard of somebody putting Passenger car tires on fullsize trucks it doesn't turn out well in a very short period of time.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
They SHOULD effectively be the same size tire as they both have the same dimensions. However, you MAY find that the p's shorten up a bit because they tend to have slightly weaker sidewalls, but it's not enough to worry about any axle or diff damage/accelerated wear. IMO the Light Truck tires are better for anybody who put's their truck through its paces because whenever I've heard of somebody putting Passenger car tires on fullsize trucks it doesn't turn out well in a very short period of time.

IIRC my mommy had Uniroyal Tiger Paw tires on her old fullsize van we had before her K1500, I think those were (p)265/75r16s and they looked like donuts on wheels, horrible sidewalls.

Those were on the van of course when we bought it, right after those wore down she put BFG A/Ts on it, same size, I was so young, but I remember my old man had a set of cragar ss's that were about to go on it but it was a spur of the moment trade in at a dealership for that 97 k1500 my mom still has to this day.

dcZ71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the question is what side would you put it on, the right rear theoretically wears quicker because its the drive tire so..
the lt has less tread but lasts longer, the p has more tread but wont last as long :hmm:

Super Silvi 1990

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also if and when you load down your truck with anything heavy the p rated tire will give more under the extra weight which means you could have handling issues during that time.