LT header/duals pipe routing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So its high time I get my exhaust upgraded. I've been running shorties and a cat back for a while, but thats not cutting it anymore. I've already got all my parts and everything, just need to take it in to get the piping fabbed up, its going to be full dual 3", dual mag spun cats, Hpipe, dual single in/out mufflers, and I'm probably going to exit in the stock location behind the rear passenger tire.

what I'm looking for is if anyone has pics of their pipe routing on a GMT400 with long tube headers. I'm trying to plan out how to get around everything without causing too many problems.

6chevy9

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is that on a 4x4 by chance? also is there an advantage over H pipe vs X pipe? its seems to me the X would flow better.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
nope its 2wd. so I don't have to worry about all the 4wd components. the truck specs are in my sig. its not your typical setup, especially with the T56, but that is exactally the same length as a 4L60e, so the dimentions in regard to pipe routing should be the same as that.

as far as the H vs X, I'm not a exhaust pro, I've heard X helps more with high end, H with low, I don't know how accurate that is, I went with an H pipe mostly for convienence in fabrication. I'm also putting some additional ball/socket flanges just before the H pipe so I can remove each intermediate pipe separately if needed. should work out pretty well.

the main area I'm concerned about the pipe routing is taking the drivers side post header pipe over to the passenger side for the Hpipe/muffler/exit. with the LT's I can't just go under the bellhousing all nice and out of the way like I can with my shorties or stock manifolds, I'd rather not run it under the transmission body itself, so I was thinking, running it straight back from the header, over the trans crossmember, then a 90*, going under the frontal portion of the driveshaft, then another 90 to be parallel to the passenger side, and meeting the Hpipe. but I don't know if its wise to run it under the driveshaft like that, or if there is a better way.

Valkyrie5.7

Thrashaholic
Reaction score
I'm speaking with absolutely no first person experience but from what I understand the difference between the H and X is going to cost maybe 5hp tops above 5k rpm. If I'm not mistaken, the whole reasoning between the cross over is to even out the firing pulses so that the exhaust flows more freely. Either way any crossover is going to net you more torque down low compared to straight pipes, but I'm sure you already know this.

I too would also like some underbody routing of exhaust systems from some users with LTs.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Welll...am I stalking you...or are you stalking me Juc? Lol!
I'll be pretty much coming straight out of the passenger side (drivers side) collector with a 90deg bend and go across just infront of the trans crossmember. Then another 90 and straight into my X pipe.
From there...two straight pipes into two mufflers (haven't decided what mufflers yet) and then not sure whether one out each side...or both out the same side.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
one of us is definantly stalking the other, I just can't figure out which. heh.

so you're going under the endhousing of the actual trans? I thought about that, but then started wondering about the radient heat from the exhaust causing issues with the trans seals, fluid and such.

I still have to wait for some funds to get it done, but I've already got all the parts.

hquick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah...that's where I've been thinking of going. Pretty sure that's where James.B ran his. I have some pic's somewhere.
I have pic's of Noel's truck with it running under the drive shaft.