LS1 swap/411 PCM questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm doing research on a 411 pcm swap vs a full LS1 swap and haven't been able to find answers to a couple of lingering questions.

Some background info:
It's a 1997 Single Cab Short Stepside. Currently the truck has a 2007 4.3L that the owner before me did, but I think it's extremely similar if not identical to the '97 V6 though.

I have a 383 small block in the garage that was meant for a different project but didn't ever get off the ground. It's setup for mild boost.

I live in an emissions county in Texas so the VIN in the PCM has to match the truck.

In my mind there's two paths I could take.
1) Do a 411 PCM swap with express van calibration and convert the 383 to roller cam and Vortec top end.
Cons: It Would take a fair amount of tuning and jerry rigging to get to where I would want it.
Pros: I reuse the motor taking up room in the garage. It's a gen I SBC that will drop right in.
2) LS1/LS6 swap with stock 411 PCM.
Cons:LS swap parts needed.
Pros:Not really any tuning and lots of people have done it.

I've gone back and forth several times, but I think I've finally settled on the LS1 swap. But I've got a couple questions that I can't seem to find answers for.

1) Will the 411 PCM with Camaro/Firebird calibration run the truck gauges? I know it will with the 02 Van calibration. I don't see why it shouldn't, but I can't find a definite yes. I haven't done a deep dive into specs yet. I'm assuming they're either the same ranges or it's tunable in the software?

2) What other PCM functions would I need to pay attention too that might not carry over? I know it's probably a dumb question, just point me in the right direction.

As a final thought, the 6.0/6.2 motors would be even cooler, but I have similar concerns as the 411. Would their PCMs be able to run dash gauges etc.

Thanks for help ahead of time.

Edit: Ooops, I missed the fact that there was a sub forum for swaps. Feel free to move my post.

-James

Last edited:

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There should be no reason that the 0411 from a camaro wouldn't run the truck engine, as long as all the sensors are the same style of input as what the camaro used. Your transmission might be different than what the camaro was setup for, but that can be fixed through segment swapping the correct stuff in. There should be no reason the gauges don't work, as long as all the correct pins used.

Really, finding a computer from the van would probably be easiest. (Still might have to segment swap for your transmission) then pretty much everything will be correct for your truck. The tuning for the specific engine won't be that hard, a 383 isn't that different from a 350.

What generation 6.0/6.2 are you referring To? Anything gen 3 should be the same hurdles as a 411 swap, but I have no real experience there.

Hope this helps.

Ken K

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is a lot to absorb. I would suggest more research like www.LT1swap.com If your PCM needs re-programmed, Brendan can fix you up for $75. VATs delete, 2 pre-cat O2's, oil pressure output is 0-5 volts, tranny should be same but LS to older 4L60e may require flywheel spacer. Build your spec sheet, tire size, final drive, over-drive tranny ratio, electric fans (PCM grounds relays), heads, cam, street or beater to tweak fuel & timing, etc. EFI help cold drivability, remote start and the PCM B+ to start relay will not allow cranking is engine is already running, etc.
It's not a problem, it's an adventure...& some money. Go for it.

jimdaug

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's a good 7-8 months to a year out before I can even start on it. I'm just trying to do some good research ahead of time and looking for any major hangups.

I've glanced at the Pinouts on lt1swap.com. I think I'm going to go through the Vortec pinouts and make a list of all the PCM outputs that aren't engine related, like gauges, etc. and see what matches up to the 411 PCM. Like I said my only real concern would be like if the gauge outputs had one range when it's a Van calibration vs when it's a Camaro/Firebird.

Also, I'm planning on getting the engine and trans together so I don't have to figure out any flywheel spacers.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Any 411 would do, it will merely require a full flash for the vehicle it's going in. You can find them in vans, trucks, F bodies, and Y bodies. 411 will support the 4x reluctor of a Vortec or 24x from a GenIII.