LS in 97k1500 parts list!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I should have updated sooner, sold the whole setup to a buddy bc I got a great deal on a 09 Silverado with a bad engine. Building a lq4 with 243 heads and a stage 4 truck cam. But the mounts and adapter ring is all u need to physically mount a LS to a old style trans , stand alone harness and it'll go. If newer trans I believe it will bolt directly up and use same trans mounts. As for tcase all the way up to 05 will bolt directly to the old 4l60e also, shafts and motors and plugs the same. I put the tcase from the 01 suburban in a 98 Yukon direct bolt

Reaction score
Well, that's easy: 4L65e. Why would you think you need to keep the weaker of the 2 transmissions? Compatibility issues? The later transmission is just a hair longer, but I don't think it's much. It has to do with the 300mm vs 298 mm TC...

Didn't the Denali have AWD? Like a NP149? Are you trying to keep that? Or are you trying to keep the NP2XX that came with your Tahoe originally?
Correct, I wasn't sure if the Transfercase from the Tahoe (NP2XX) was compatible with that 4L65E. I do not wish to use the NP149 AWD T-case from the Denali.

Reaction score
Well I should have updated sooner, sold the whole setup to a buddy bc I got a great deal on a 09 Silverado with a bad engine. Building a lq4 with 243 heads and a stage 4 truck cam. But the mounts and adapter ring is all u need to physically mount a LS to a old style trans , stand alone harness and it'll go. If newer trans I believe it will bolt directly up and use same trans mounts. As for tcase all the way up to 05 will bolt directly to the old 4l60e also, shafts and motors and plugs the same. I put the tcase from the 01 suburban in a 98 Yukon direct bolt
Awesome, ill keep that in mind and good luck on Your new build.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, I wasn't sure if the Transfercase from the Tahoe (NP2XX) was compatible with that 4L65E. I do not wish to use the NP149 AWD T-case from the Denali.
It should work. I believe the 4L60e and 4L60e are identical from the outside. You actually have to look up the serial number to confirm it is a 4L65e.

Considering the age of those trucks, it's even possible that someone swapped a 4L60e in them.

The only other difference that just came to my mind (besides the 5 pinion planetary) is the 65e also has an input speed sensor. But that would only matter if you are swapping into an older generation truck, controlled by the original ECU. In your case, you are swapping everything, so no issues...

Reaction score
It should work. I believe the 4L60e and 4L60e are identical from the outside. You actually have to look up the serial number to confirm it is a 4L65e.

Considering the age of those trucks, it's even possible that someone swapped a 4L60e in them.

The only other difference that just came to my mind (besides the 5 pinion planetary) is the 65e also has an input speed sensor. But that would only matter if you are swapping into an older generation truck, controlled by the original ECU. In your case, you are swapping everything, so no issues...

For sure, Thanks for the input / info.