LS in 97k1500 parts list!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the NBS has dual piston fronts. I don't know about the rear. I've never replaced mine yet at 260k, LOL.

@MIHELA did a swap of NBS (NBBS, or ???) on his Cowboy Cadillac build thread... Have you looked at that thread?

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No I haven't checked it out yet but will...looking forward to having brakes that aren't garbage tho lol...I may hold off on LS swap until I get suspension/brakes/gears / tires and cab and bed done, not sure yet. I know it'll be easier to do motor and trans while I have cab off but it's not real hard to pull front clip and pull it all out later too. Just alot of work all at one time and winter is coming and my jeep is horrible in winter! Ol 78 cj5 with a soft top so summer is no worries but winter is miserable to drive.
I appreciate the knowledge so far, I just don't like to wing it, like to have a solid plan before I start something.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the NBS has dual piston fronts. I don't know about the rear. I've never replaced mine yet at 260k, LOL.

@MIHELA did a swap of NBS (NBBS, or ???) on his Cowboy Cadillac build thread... Have you looked at that thread?
I'm like 30 pages into the cowboy Cadillac build log....that's awesome! And this donor Burban has duals up front and single piston out back. Gonna grab a roll of 1/4 stainless steel brake line and redo the whole brake system in 1/4 and just omit the abs system and use a tee in the fronts like the old 88-89 chevs. Should be awesome brakes with all 1/4 and the nbs master .

Lildad90

Reaction score
I have a complete running,driving 01 suburban that's rusty asf! Motor runs great and trans shifts perfectly.i have been maintaining this suburban for a customer for 10 years now and they took good care of it. I literally got it for nothing. Checked rpo codes as at first my only interest was rear end ( gt4 g80) bc I wanted disc brakes wasn't sure if I was going to fab 4 link mounting plate and use factory setup or just weld perches on and use leaf setup already in my 97. Well now my urges have turned into LS swap, rear 4 link with airbags and 6" rcx lift, and gear change. I put a rebuilt 98 4l60e in my 97 and it's been solid so I have a choice between either trans to use. I have a floor shift tcase in my 97 and want to keep that, push button auto in suburban. Not sure if tcase is interchangeable or not, haven't looked too hard at it. Didn't pay attention to if it's a drive by wire or throttle cable but think it's cable. Didn't look at ecm but assume it's a 0411.
I am a mechanic and fabricator so crossmemeber issues and things like that aren't an issue.
Ideally I'd like to just put the 5.3 right to my existing drivetrain, worse case 5.3 and trans it's hooked to would go in, but don't want an auto tcase.
What is involved in mating 5.3 and my 98 trans? I know they bolt up but do I need an adapter or can I use flexplate from one or other and torque converter from one or other and not need to buy other parts?
I know I will have to get a tune , that was planned either way, I will have a full harness for the suburban too,but am thinking I will be able to merge the two harnesses to make it all work pretty easily.
I've tried reading threads on what all is needed but not alot of them have a complete donor vehicle like I do so the list of parts to buy don't really apply to me.
Also have a rust free cab I'm prepping to drop on this frame since my old cab is pretty shot. My frame is solid so it'll get wire wheeled and POR painted while cab and bed is off. Luckily I have a two post hoist so it'll make things a bit easier. Complete can is getting bedlined with a charcoal grey with flecs in it , **** ton of sound deadening, black suede headliner, recovered seats from the burbon , custom door panels and a b pillar wall with 4 18"s. It's alot of work but gonna be worth it in the end. I have HUGE pile of parts already ( about $2500 so far) and am about to the point I can start building this truck! I'm just trying to figure out what I have missed.
I see guys are saying a fuel pump swap is needed but I don't think it is, 5.7 takes 56-62psi and the LS takes like 59-62psi ( can't remember off hand but checked all specs earlier today) and both have a return line,and LS has regulator right on rail. I have pump and tank from suburban I could make fit if I had to but don't think it'll be necassary. What else am I missing?
I plan on using only caliper backing plate like in article

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score

Those 2 parts will allow your LS engine to bolt to the older transmission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I plan on using only caliper backing plate like in article
I'm going to use a complete axle mainly bc I have it, and I want to adjust the pinion angle properly for the lift that's going on. The newer axles are a bit stronger also so why not use it. If I was to purchase parts it for sure would have been just the plate kit, make sure you use the dust shields and if they are messed up dorman makes replacement ones for cheap. Our customers that don't have the dust shields go thru rear brakes twice as fast as those who do have em still.
I'm actually looking forward to stripping all the 4 link off the new axle and welding on my own anti wrap perches, I will be adding ladder bars eventually but 6" of lift and 37s puts alot of stress on u bolts and blocks so some sort of trac bar or ladder bar is a must.

Lildad90

Reaction score
I'm going to use a complete axle mainly bc I have it, and I want to adjust the pinion angle properly for the lift that's going on. The newer axles are a bit stronger also so why not use it. If I was to purchase parts it for sure would have been just the plate kit, make sure you use the dust shields and if they are messed up dorman makes replacement ones for cheap. Our customers that don't have the dust shields go thru rear brakes twice as fast as those who do have em still.
I'm actually looking forward to stripping all the 4 link off the new axle and welding on my own anti wrap perches, I will be adding ladder bars eventually but 6" of lift and 37s puts alot of stress on u bolts and blocks so some sort of trac bar or ladder bar is a must.
Well please post photos because I also have a nbs rear end and reading article I was going to use only bracket an spacers from new one with factory obs rear end

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well please post photos because I also have a nbs rear end and reading article I was going to use only bracket an spacers from new one with factory obs rear end
Parts are ordered and suburban is on the way to my place to get stripped ...that parts pretty easy, cut off and grind clean the old suspension parts and line up and weld spring perches and shock mounts . Hardest part is setting pi ion angle but that's not hard.

Reaction score
Any updates?
I'm intrigued on the engine swap / transmission / T-case combo
I have a 99 2door Tahoe I just bought bone stock and I also have an 03 Yukon Denali. I'd like swap the 6.0 into the Tahoe, getting that done should be NP there's plenty of support. The concern I have is deciding to use the original transmission that came in the Tahoe (4L60E) or swapping to the 4L65E from the 03 Denali and if it would even mate to the T-case.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, that's easy: 4L65e. Why would you think you need to keep the weaker of the 2 transmissions? Compatibility issues? The later transmission is just a hair longer, but I don't think it's much. It has to do with the 300mm vs 298 mm TC...

Didn't the Denali have AWD? Like a NP149? Are you trying to keep that? Or are you trying to keep the NP2XX that came with your Tahoe originally?