LS PCM Mount in a TBI Truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all. I've been toying around with the idea of swapping an LM7 5.3 into my truck, but I'd like to have everything planned out before I go and buy everything.

So where is everyone mounting their PCM's in their LS swapped 88-94 truck? In an ideal world, since I plan on sticking with the stock 5.3 harness, I'd love to have it and the fuse box mounted on the driver's wheel well just like the GMT800's. I'd like to avoid putting it in the cab like the stock 88-94 PCM, since I'm afraid it would take too much extra wiring; but I'm not sure what's possible without some fabrication.

And bonus question, would the stock 1994 NP241 transfer case bolt up to a 4WD LS 4L60E?

I'm a first timer in the engine swap world, so any help is appreciated :Big Laugh:!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Drivers side fender seems to be the go-to location for most of the ones I've seen done. No sense reinventing the wheel if you don't have to.

Komet

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Take all the GMT800 fender mounts -> boom you have the oem solution. Placing the pcm in the TBI location probably wouldn't work, as I believe it's substantially physically larger and space is pretty tight in there.

"1994 NP241" is not enough information to tell you whether what you have fits on a 4L60E. The 4L60E has a 27 spline output shaft, you'll need the same number of splines on the transfer case. It can be rebuilt to fit with a new shaft if necessary, I believe the outer casing bolts should line up regardless though.

Fireball5657

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
"1994 NP241" is not enough information to tell you whether what you have fits on a 4L60E. The 4L60E has a 27 spline output shaft, you'll need the same number of splines on the transfer case. It can be rebuilt to fit with a new shaft if necessary, I believe the outer casing bolts should line up regardless though.

Fair point, I figured the casing would line up, but I wanted to be sure. I checked a picture of my transmission the last time it was out, and it does have the 27 spline shaft.

It's 88 thru 95. 96 is first year Vortec OBD2 engine.

Also true, but I specified 88-94 because 1995 trucks have a bracket that holds the larger four-wheel abs controller (in a different location from the 88-94 on top of that) and the different washer fluid reservoir. Come to think of it though, I might be able to grab one of those 1995 brackets and mount the LS PCM to that since my 1994 has the smaller ABS controller. I'd have to get the newer washer reservoir, but that's not an issue.

Hmm, decisions.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The LS harness is configured to have the PCM on the driver's side fender. Don't over think it.

NorthState

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m working an LS swap on my 1997. I know that’s a slightly dif generation than your 88-94, but here’s some pics of how I got my 0411 to fit the factory 95-99 black box PCM. It may be that you could hit up a local pull-a-part to scavenge a 95-99 bracket.

If you go this route, there is a lip that the PCM sits on, 4 grooves and two .5”x2” chunks that you will have to white out to make it lay flat. It’s a fair amount of test fit/check and material removal.

See pics below.
You must be registered for see images attach

Disregard the troll feet in the background!