Lowering Spindles or Not???/

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Recently bought a 92 1500 2wd that has a rather decent drop on it. I am looking to try and find out if there is a easy way to tell if he used drop spindles on it or just cut the hell out of the springs in front. in the rear he did a flip kit and bolt in cnotch. reason i am asking is tax time i am bagging this thing and dont want to spend a additonal 200 buckaroonies if i dont have to. Thanks guys and this is a great site with alot of usefull information.

SixSpeedSS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it has a flip kit in the rear, then it is more than likely a 6" drop in the rear. That would usually mean a 4" drop in the front to match (at least that is how the drop kits were back in the day). 4" front drop was usually 2" spindle and 2" spring. I have a 2" BT spindle on the front of mine and 3" lowering springs. There isn't alot of travel with the 3" springs, so I doubt that anyone would use a 4" drop spring (never heard of them) as the only method of drop. Later on control arms and such were introduced to allow drop without spindles. Does the truck have OEM stamped control arms or tubular?

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
it has factory arms, it also has the coil spring stiffeners in it to keep the coil spring from drooping more.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah thats what i am afriad of, well sorta. Here in a couple days when they start salting roads i won't drive it. It's never seen salt. So i will start tearing into it to bag it, but i just didn't know if there was a real easy way to tell if it has drop spindles or not.

laidbackbigun

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach
stupid question but pictures of spindle or truck? ha

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I always like to refer back to this pic I took several years ago, to help people decide if they had drop spindles or not.

Stock (old) spindle on left, drop (new) spindle on right. Notice how the axle sits much higher on the drop spindle, which lowers the wheel in relation to the rest of the suspension.

Also, if you look at the back of your spindle you can see where the axle is pressed in; drop spindle has it near the middle of the casting, while the stock spindle is down low towards the lower ball joint.

Richard

Steve's Chevy

OBSLESS
Supporting Member
Reaction score