loose gear shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98vortec

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i just bought a 1995 chevy ext. cab shortbed 350 auto the gear shifter selector is loose how to tighten is it just a set screw?

superdave

Proud NOOA Member
Reaction score
Peel back the boot around the base of the shifter arm, and there's a set screw.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it's not loose there (and that is the likely spot anyway), you'll need to remove the column plastic clamshell pieces to tighten the bolts where the shifter attaches to the column. There are small torx screws recessed into the lower clamshell, then it hinges away from the upper one - another couple of torx (e-torx which you can get by using a 12 point socket, usually, if you don't have e-torx sockets) to get the upper off. Oh, and edit - guess I forgot to mention you have to pry the plastic piece off the ignition switch in order to get the top clamshell piece off. Some come off easily, others fight you. Just be careful you don't pry hard against the clamshell or you'll break it. The ignition switch piece is just plastic tabs surrounded by a metal band, it snaps off, snaps on.

Then you'll see this:

You must be registered for see images attach

You can see that one screw near the bottom of the shift lever that superdave is referring to. The ones I'm talking about have the white paint marker on them; two up top and I can't remember if there's one more on the lower end.

Richard

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Huh, all this time I thought mine was just wallered out. I tightened the 1 screw at the base of the shifter stalk and it still feels like ****. I'd just attributed it to the mileage.

Steve A

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Huh, all this time I thought mine was just wallered out. I tightened the 1 screw at the base of the shifter stalk and it still feels like ****. I'd just attributed it to the mileage.

Could be SC or could be the lever cracked at the base, shouldn't be a big problem to change.

mike73

Reaction score
Well, a lot of problems are due to a loose nut behind the steering wheel. Your case just happened to be much more literal than usual