Typical loose steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bradster68

Reaction score
As iv been told by many.The 90 1tons have loose steering. Iv been told its typical of these trucks but no one has a solution.
At least the wife don't drive it because of this.
Just wondering if there a mod or solution to tightening up a little. (Is there a screw adjustment somewhere?).
If this isn't the right place for this post maybe a mod can move for me.
Thanks

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’d say it’s nothing 1 screw being tightened will resolve. Gotta go through the whole system to resolve. I did and it’s as good as new if not better.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Like Canman said, lots of moving parts. Get underneath and start yanking on stuff, have someone turn the wheel looking for play in anything. I'm not familiar with the 1T's and if the have a rag joint on the steering shaft like the 1/2's but that's definitely a wear item a lot of people overlook. It can be replaced with another or swapped out for a Jeep shaft or from Cunningham machine (vendor on this site) that replace the rag joint completely.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Inspect, check , feel. Every connection, relay arm , ball joint , slack in steering worm gear, frame mounting box bolts loose. The under hood column rag joint worn. All those little excess clearance bits add up . And it shows at steering wheel with 4 , 5 inches or more before an action occurs.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It can be replaced with another or swapped out for a Jeep shaft or from Cunningham machine (vendor on this site) that replace the rag joint completely.
I bought a junkyard Jeep shaft to swap into Roscoe, and then discovered the early one-tons have a different shaft and it won't fit. A replacement shaft is about $200, and mine's dorked.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought a junkyard Jeep shaft to swap into Roscoe, and then discovered the early one-tons have a different shaft and it won't fit. A replacement shaft is about $200, and mine's dorked.
As I said, not all that familiar with the "big boy" trucks. But that makes sense that a bigger truck would have some different parts than the little ones. Odd that a piece as "simple" as a steering shaft would be different. Just from a cost savings prospective I'd think they would be the same.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gotta go through the whole system to resolve. I did and it’s as good as new if not better.
This, I did not replace yet. Original still good, but cheap enough to have spare on hand. Who knows what will happen to supply chain the way this world’s going.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• IMG_5200.jpeg
    IMG_5200.jpeg
    198.4 KB · Views: 8