Typical loose steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DennisT

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had loose steering on my '96 K1500. Fixed the normal stuff, (pitman arm replacement, etc.), then I looked over that Rag Joint. Soft; worn. Replaced it with a Cunningham REAL U-Joint half shaft and the whole thing is like new now. The Cunningham was the best thing I did. Not sure if you have a Rag Joint on your truck.

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This, I did not replace yet. Original still good, but cheap enough to have spare on hand. Who knows what will happen to supply chain the way this world’s going.
You must be registered for see images attach
That’s purty…. I hacked mine up with a cutoff wheel and put it back together with nuts, bolts and a universal “rag joint repair” kit.

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s purty…. I hacked mine up with a cutoff wheel and out it back together with nuts, bolts and a universal “rag joint repair” kit.
And the result?
I considered a Cunningham, I’m sure they’re great. But, I figured, if my original is still there and I have ZERO play, I think they are fine. Not like these trucks came off the line with sloppy front ends. If it’s worn, like any part it, definitely should be replaced.

jd33173

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
As iv been told by many.The 90 1tons have loose steering. Iv been told its typical of these trucks but no one has a solution.
At least the wife don't drive it because of this.
Just wondering if there a mod or solution to tightening up a little. (Is there a screw adjustment somewhere?).
If this isn't the right place for this post maybe a mod can move for me.
Thanks
Take a look at the rag joint / steering shaft situation if its a '90 then it may have a 33 yr old rag joint / steering shaft. It is a fairly cheap and non-brain-damaging fix if that is what it is and not a huge investment if it is not the culprit. I would try that first. It made a big difference for my truck but I replaced it last (after every other piece of $%^%&^&^& steering related stuff except the steering gear).

Orpedcrow

I don’t know what I’m doing
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the result?
I considered a Cunningham, I’m sure they’re great. But, I figured, if my original is still there and I have ZERO play, I think they are fine. Not like these trucks came off the line with sloppy front ends. If it’s worn, like any part it, definitely should be replaced.
It was tons better, the original one was loose in every direction. Maybe had 100 miles left on it before catastrophic failure. That was 7 (?) years ago and it remains tight.

I have some play somewhere, pretty sure it’s in the A1car*** box. Now that I have a hard copy of the FSM, I’ll take the box apart and rebuild it following GMs guidelines.