Looking to gain a little power...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A tune won't do much for you, but yes you can change shift points and firmness although that won't help with that your wanting either. Trust me you need to get. 4:56 gears to get a decent noticeable again.

4.56 gears on 30" tires... I'll just burn my wallet and save myself money :lol:

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
Don't you currently have 3.42 gears?

If so I would hunt down a 3.73 or 4.10 factory axle. Probably cheaper than regearing.

Then get some more air in, more air out and a tune.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Going from 3.42 - 4.56 would require a spacer on the carrier, or the carrier would have to be changed
With the 3.42's he has a series 3 carrier. That's only good for 3.73's & taller. (numerically lower. 3.73, 3.55, 3.42, 3.08, 2.73.)
Anything shorter, (numerically higher. 4.11, 4.56, 4.88, 5.13, 5.38.) requires the series 4 carrier.
A spacer is a cheater. A crutch. Instead of the ring gear sitting right on the carrier flange, it's pushed away from the carrier so that it's inherent strength is lost and it's being supported by the strength of the longer bolts attaching the ring gear to the carrier through the spacer It may last a while, but it's life span would be limited. Difs with spacers have a tendency to go boom, dramatically. There's not a whole lot left of them when they do decide to vacate the premises!
How do I know this? Hmmmm. What was worse? Having to put up with the ole man, who told me not to do it in the first place!
I'd say 3.73's with a 29-30" tire would wake that 6 up! The dif. in performance of my '98 after the gear change was night & day!
Anything lower (numerically higher) would have that 6 buzzing too high to be able to go any real distance.
Mileage would suffer severely. Wear & tear on the whole drivetrain would be increased exponentially.
And the truck would just be a pain to drive except for Saturday Night street thrashing. Forget about having it as a DD. Unless the daily commute was only 5-10 blocks!

Last edited:

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
I had 373s in my 4.3 with 285s and it honestly had plenty of power but it was also a stick

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I have 3.73s with 265s with my 350 and it doesn't have enough power... :shrug: :flamingdevil:

And it's stick