Looking to gain a little power...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TBI 4.3 needs some help in the hills around here :bawl: The plans

- Exhaust: Fab my own using a Magnaflow universal muffler. 2.5" maybe?
- Intake: Delete the pre-heat door in the air cleaner housing and probably my own intake pipe
- Clean the TBI thoroughly
- Recent tune up with plugs, wires, and cap. Still idles a bit rough but it is 20 years old so maybe I expect too much?

Anything else I should do?

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I second the vortec heads and intake.

Also, it may be a subjective topic, but I have ran my truck without the choke collar and there was a great difference without it, so I recommend the salad bowl mod.

Maybe a cam. You seem like a smart guy, so I know you could pull off datalogging to have some chips burned.

Replace the restrictive "y pipe" on the crossover.

And a regear.

Just spitballing ideas here...

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
a 350 swap would be more benficial than building the 4.3L and the tbi intakes are overly pricey when a carb one works just as well if not better for less.

i personally would waste money on the 4.3 but if you want to keep with it then just follow the regulars, heads, cam, intake, exhaust, tbi mods etc etc.

never looked into 4.3 heads but are the vortec and tbi ones different like the small block vortecs?

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not really looking to tear the engine apart to gain 20 hp... I do want to keep the 4.3 though. Don't need to burn rubber, just want to be able to hold overdrive :shrug:

What can be done with a tune and can I tweak shift points in the transmission?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
anything can be done in a tune, id consider dataloggin though so you can put your engine at peak driveability and performance though. make sure your tune up is up to date before hand as well. yes you can mess with shift points if its a 4l60e, if you plan on regearing do it before the tune though.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
A tune won't do much for you, but yes you can change shift points and firmness although that won't help with that your wanting either. Trust me you need to get. 4:56 gears to get a decent noticeable again.