Look at my oil leak.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shamrock246

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Has anyone experienced any issues at all deleting the oil cooler lines? I am not towing anything really, except a lawn mower on a 6x12 from time to time in the summer. I am thinking about doing the oil cooler line delete.

I signed up here today and this is my first post. I have a 94 K1500 350TBI with 250.000 miles. This Forum already helped me a lot with all kinds of things.
Today i was letting the truck warm up a couple minutes and i noticed oil running out in a stream pretty much, out of the front skid plate. I followed the oil to the upper oil cooler line. Like the first post here, the oil leaks out the holes of the fitting it looked like. After reading through several threads, i will probably do the delete. I hardly ever tow anything, the heaviest would probably be a lawnmower in the summer sometimes. I do ride through the woods from time to time, but not too hard, like hitting mud holes and all that.
From what i read I feel like i should be good just deleting the oil cooler. I will probably try a junkyard this week and see if i can find a filter adapter, if not i order one.
Let me know what yall think. Thanks and Happy new year.

After having nothing but problems with it i tore it all off and put the above adapter on and with a NAPA 7099 oil filter. I tow my boat with trailer witch is close to 7000lbs and a dual ATV trailer(1500lbs) 2 1/2 hours up into PA with no issues and have been using Mobil 1 0w-40.

Mo-Z71

Reaction score
Does anybody know what size plug you would need to just plug up the two cooler line holes in the adapter?

GreenZ98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not correct... I got rid of my oil cooler on my 94 4x4. Used a old school/regular oil filter adapter. It just bolts in place of the oil filter adapter. The pic I added shows it fits my 94 of course but will fit all small block Chevy (5.0 to 5.7) and the 4.3 also, does not fit the new generation of small blocks though(4.8 to 6.0) obviously. You can not use a m40 filter like the 2wd trucks though as it'll be to tall. You must use the older m454 filter. It's the same filter as the m40 but not as tall.. I had about 1/2"-3/4" clearance from my driveshaft, and that's with old worn out motor mounts too. No real crank on the torsion bars except to level the truck out either, so that may have been the trick. But most of us with 4wd crank to level anyways right from the start. I have a 6" lift now so I can fit any filter I want now though....lol..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
You must be registered for see images attach
This is whats on mine, works fine. I use the PF454 acdelco filters.

un4givn85

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anybody know what size plug you would need to just plug up the two cooler line holes in the adapter?
I second this question.
My lines started leaking this past weekend and I would just as soon get rid of them after reading this thread.

Edit: Talked to my mechanic friend, he said the adapter could not plugged as it would impede flow, you would have to do a short loop there if you wanted to retain the adapter.

Last edited:

Mo-Z71

Reaction score
Update:
This week I took the oil cooler lines of and changed to the older style oil filter adapter. Everything looks good. No leaks at the oil filter and the oil pressure stays at a good level too. It used to drop close to zero after driving longer ways.
Regarding the Radiator. I am sure it was unnecessary, but I took of the fittings from the cooler lines and welded the holes up making them plugs. I attached pics of the bolts and the filter. You can see there is plenty of space between the filter and the drive shaft.

Thanks for all the info here. Very helpful.

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
Update:
This week I took the oil cooler lines of and changed to the older style oil filter adapter. Everything looks good. No leaks at the oil filter and the oil pressure stays at a good level too. It used to drop close to zero after driving longer ways.
Regarding the Radiator. I am sure it was unnecessary, but I took of the fittings from the cooler lines and welded the holes up making them plugs. I attached pics of the bolts and the filter. You can see there is plenty of space between the filter and the drive shaft.

Thanks for all the info here. Very helpful.

I love the oil filter pic reference, that definitely helps the visual side of things.

I have battled my filter adapter leak for the last year and a half. I don't have oil cooler lines, and have been chasing the leak from my adapter, which has been determined to be the adapter itself, because I have new OEM gasket and seal and it is still leaking. I was about ready to order a new adapter from GM for $110, but if I can do this for less than $40 I am definitely sold.

However, like it was previously asked, are you lifted at all?

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I love the oil filter pic reference, that definitely helps the visual side of things.

I have battled my filter adapter leak for the last year and a half. I don't have oil cooler lines, and have been chasing the leak from my adapter, which has been determined to be the adapter itself, because I have new OEM gasket and seal and it is still leaking. I was about ready to order a new adapter from GM for $110, but if I can do this for less than $40 I am definitely sold.

However, like it was previously asked, are you lifted at all?
I did mine before my lift. I did crank to level though, but that has no effect on the driveshaft spacing from the filter as none of the drivetrain moves except for the cv angle when you crank the t-bars as everything else drivetrain related is frame mounted....

JCribb

Old Army truck mechanic
Reaction score
I did mine before my lift. I did crank to level though, but that has no effect on the driveshaft spacing from the filter as none of the drivetrain moves except for the cv angle when you crank the t-bars as everything else drivetrain related is frame mounted....

Okay awesome, I need to level mine out, but figured I would just wait to lift it. I am all about getting rid of the stupid leak prone adapter that coats my front diff every time I change the oil. I just purchased everything and saved myself $10 in shipping by using eBay as opposed to summit racing, where I was initially going to purchase from. I got an adapter with allen bolts, after reading about the clearance issues using regular bolts.

Last edited: